Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ignacio Iborra <na...@bibvirtual.bimicesa.ua.es> on 2006/11/17 12:06:31 UTC

Configuring a security manager under Windows with Tomcat 5.5

Hello.

I've been reading the jakarta documentation about how to set a Security
Manager in Tomcat 5.5 under Windows, in order to apply the permissions in
catalina.policy file.

The Jakarta documentation page says that I must start the server with the
command:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security

But Tomcat 5.5 under Windows does NOT have command-line executables, but a
Tomcat Monitor. So the question is... how can I set the security manager
through this monitor? I've tried to access the "Configure" panel, and in the
"Startup" tab, modify the "Arguments" field in this way:

start -security

But Tomcat says that -security is not a valid argument.

So how can I set the security manager?
Thanks in advance.

Re: Configuring a security manager under Windows with Tomcat 5.5

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Ignacio Iborra wrote:

> I've been reading the jakarta documentation about how to set a Security
> Manager in Tomcat 5.5 under Windows, in order to apply the permissions in
> catalina.policy file.
>
> The Jakarta documentation page says that I must start the server with the
> command:
>
> %CATALINA_HOME%\bin\catalina start -security
>
> But Tomcat 5.5 under Windows does NOT have command-line executables, but a
> Tomcat Monitor. So the question is... how can I set the security manager
> through this monitor? I've tried to access the "Configure" panel, and in
> the "Startup" tab, modify the "Arguments" field in this way:
>
> start -security
>
> But Tomcat says that -security is not a valid argument.
>
> So how can I set the security manager?
> Thanks in advance.

In Tomcat monitor, go to the "Java" tab and add the following two lines to
the "Java Options" field:

-Djava.security.manager
-Djava.security.policy==<absolute path to Tomcat dir>\conf\catalina.policy

(replacing <absolute path to Tomcat dir> with the actual path, of course)

Regards
  mks