Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Paul Smicker <sm...@renovis.com> on 2005/01/17 19:13:20 UTC

BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Hi All--

I've upgraded SA from 2.63 to 3.0.2 and I've noticed a big difference
in my bayes scores. Under 2.63 a 99% bayes probability would give me a
score of 5.4, now I get only 1.9:

   ____
    pts rule name              description
   ---- ----------------------
    1.9 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to
100%
                               [score: 1.0000]
   ____

This is causing a noticeable amount of spam to get through now. What's
the thinking behind such a low score for mail that has just been given
a 99% chance of being spam ? Will I be asking for trouble if I modify
50_scores.cf to match 2.63 bayes scores?

--Paul

This email may contain material that is confidential and privileged and is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or distribution by others or forwarding without express permission is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 08:37 PM 1/18/2005, up@3.am wrote:

>BTW, it looks like bayes_90 has been deprecated.  When I run a lint on my
>local.cf, I get:
>
>warning: score set for non-existent rule BAYES_90

Yes, several of the old ranges in 2.64 no longer exist.. For 3.x they
changed the ranging a bit, creating some new ones, merging together others..

For example, BAYES_90 went away, as did 01,10, 30, 44, 56, and 70. However,
95 and 05 were added.

  Basically before there was a lot of "splitting of hairs", particularly
near 50, that was largely useless. Bayes 40,44,50 and 56 all had
more-or-less the same score. Zero, or damn close to it. So they made them
all into the new BAYES_50...

It would also appear that they found that 10% away from the extremes (10
and 90) were not as useful as 5% (05 and 95). I suspect this was all done
after some graphing of frequency... In on my experience, the vast majority
of mail winds up in 01, 99 or 50, so it makes sense to coalesce some of the
other ranges...

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Posted by up...@3.am.
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005, Thomas Arend wrote:

> With network test enabled bayes scores lower. This is a problem when the
> network test don't fire when the spammer uses a new server. Therefore I have
> raised the bayes scores for bayes_99. I seldom get bayes_90 so I didn't raise
> the scores for bayes_90.

Rational, I suppose, but I use the network tests and still found it
neccessary to bump the bayes 9x up to get decent results after upgrading
from 2.63 the other day.

up@3.am							    http://3.am

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Posted by Thomas Arend <ml...@arend-whv.info>.

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.
>     The Bayes_9x scores were a bit low for our needs.  So we bumped them
> up.  That is one of the great things I like about SA.  You can customize
> it to meet your needs.
>
> Shane

My part of the thread was that the scores don't consistently go -up- with
increased percentage - see previous.  tnx

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Re: BAYES_99 = 1.9?

Posted by John Fleming <jo...@wa9als.com>.