Posted to dev@pirk.apache.org by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/13 12:49:32 UTC

[VOTE] Pirk's First Release - 0.1.0 - Branch Vote

Hi All,

After some hiccups last night getting the pom ready for release (thanks for
fixing it Suneel!), we can now  proceed with release voting. After we get
through our first release, our initial process will be documented on the
website for ease of access. In the future, we will send 'true' VOTE emails
without all of the extra commentary.

[Mentors: Please correct any info/process that I have gotten wrong below -
thanks!]

Following some of the best practice guidelines, let's hold our internal
release Pirk vote in two stages:

1) Vote-1 to approve the 0.1.0 candidate release branch

If that passes, then...

2) Vote-2 to approve the resulting files listed below, which will be posted
at '
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pirk/pirk-0.1.0-incubating'
for the release:

   - apache-pirk-0.1.0-incubating-source-release.tar.gz
   - apache-pirk-0.1.0-incubating-source-release.tar.gz.asc
   - apache-pirk-0.1.0-incubating-source-release.tar.gz.md5
   - apache-pirk-0.1.0-incubating-source-release.tar.gz.sha1

Once Vote-1 closes with +1 from at least 3 Pirk PPMC members, we will move
on to Vote-2. After Vote-2 passes, we can move to call a Pirk release vote
with the IPMC. Once the IPMC vote passes, we can push the first Pirk maven
artifact.

I have tagged all JIRAs completed for this release with 'FixVersion =
0.1.0'. You can view them here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PIRK-47?jql=project%20%3D%20PIRK%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D0.1.0

The following steps were used to prepare the branch (some Apache projects
have nice scripts to automate some of these checks -- we should consider
using one too):

   - Verified the items Release Checklist (below, except for the checksums
   and signatures for the branch cut)
   - mvn clean release:clean
   - mvn release:prepare -Darguments="-DskipTests" (new version:
   0.1.0-incubating; SCM: apache-pirk-0.1.0-incubating; new dev version:
   0.1.1-SNAPSHOT)
   - mvn -Psigned_release release:perform -DdryRun=true
   -Darguments="-DskipTests"

where 'signed_release' is defined in the maven settings.xml file as in
Suneel's example here:
https://gist.github.com/smarthi/ac1b5058f05ab17d2f84862940ec4eba

Please vote as follows:

+1 -- Accept this candidate release branch
-1 -- Don't accept this candidate release branch because....

This vote will run for 72 hours.

Thanks!

Ellison Anne

_____

Release Checklist:

   - Checksums and PGP signatures are valid.
   - Build is successful including automated tests.
   - DISCLAIMER is correct, filenames include "incubating".
   - Top-level LICENSE and NOTICE are correct
   - All source files have license headers where appropriate, RAT checks
   pass
   - The provenance of all source files is clear (ASF or software grants)
   - Dependencies licenses are ok as per http://apache.org/legal/
   - Release consists of source code only, no binaries.

Apache Release Documentation:

   - Apache Release Guide: http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing
   - Apache Release Policy: http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
   - Apache Incubator Release Guidelines: http://incubator.
   apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html
   <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html>
   - Apache Incubator Release Policy: http://incubator.
   apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases
   <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases>
   - For Maven Release: http://www.apache.org/dev/publishing-maven-
   artifacts.html

Re: [VOTE] Pirk's First Release - 0.1.0 - Branch Vote

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
:-)

I was gonna suggest :-

1. push the artifacts to staging on Nexus at https://repository.apache.
org/service/local/staging/deploy/maven2
2. call for a Vote on the staged artifacts
3. Once Vote passes, 'Release' the artifacts in Nexus and that would
transfer them to
https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/org/
apache/incubator/pirk

4. svn co https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/pirk/

5. cd pirk;
    wget https://repository.apache.org/content/groups/public/org/
apache/incubator/pirk
    checkin the release artifacts

    and that should push them to the mirrors.

I am adding the KEYS file now to

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
That's.. weird. Does this have something to do with the signed-release
Maven profile I keep seeing mentioned? I've been a bit confused (but
haven't read into what exactly the profile does) as to why we have a
special profile for signing artifacts. I would have assumed that this is
something that can (and should) already be happening via the
apache-release profile since it's something that always needs to happen
for released artifacts.

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
(sorry, I should really read my entire inbox before starting to reply to
stuff...)

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yup, that's right.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
Ok here's the rollback steps.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.
In Nexus,

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.
I'm confused...

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Hi Ellison Anne,

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.
+1 to go with a single Vote process

On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 10:24 AM, Ellison Anne Williams <

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, I don't think two votes are necessary. We (those with binding
votes) should be cognizant of what's being created by the source-release
in preparation of binary artifacts that may also be distributed with the
official release artifact. Just one more thing to remember to check
during the release process :)

Posted by Ellison Anne Williams <ea...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Suneel Marthi <sm...@apache.org>.