Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Mick Knutson <mi...@hotmail.com> on 2003/09/25 23:50:24 UTC

Going from https on /member.do, back to http on index.jsp?

How do I go from https on /member.do, back to http on index.jsp?
Must I make an /index.do and just eliminate the index.jsp?

---
Thanks
Mick Knutson
http://www.baselogic.com

+001(805) 563-0666 Office
+001 (708) 570-2772 Fax
---

Re: Going from https on /member.do, back to http on index.jsp?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Max Cooper wrote:

>Creating an index.do is one option. If it is not marked as secure, sslext
>will write an absolute URL back to http:// for it. Many Struts users
>advocate that all requests should be served by Actions, even if the action
>merely forwards to a JSP.

I actually have a more important concern about doing this -- exposing
information to people who can listen in on the packets that go back and
forth.

Many people would like, for example, to have the login form be secure so
that your password is not sent across the wire encrypted, but then go
back to http for the rest of the session for the better performance.
The seemingly ideal solution is to have the destination of the login
submit require SSL, and then switch back.  Using a
<user-transport-guarantee> security constraint, you can even let the
container worry about the http->https transition for you.  Or, you can
use things like SSLext that is nicely integrated into Struts.

However, the servlet spec offers no help in switching back to http,
because it is not a recommended practice.  Why?  Consider the fact that
you now trust subsequent transactions from the same user, and are
typically using the session that was established earlier (whether the
session was originally created in http or https turns out not to
matter).  But the session id is no longer encrypted (it's either in a
cookie or in rewritten URLs), so it can be easily forged by anyone with
a network snooper between you and the server.  How do you guarantee that
an after-login request on that session is not being sent by someone who
is forging the session id because they snooped it?

I'm a conservative on security issues -- if I have an app that needs SSL
sometimes, I arrange things to never accept a non-SSL request on the
same session again, once I've switched to SSL (easy to do with a Filter,
for example).  If you're concerned enough to protect the password, you
should be concerned enough to pay the CPU overhead for SSL the remainder
of the session.  Otherwise, it's likely that encrypting the login form
will just give you a false sense of security.

>I think you can also use the secure attribute in the sslext tags to indicate
>whether the target of the link or form should be accessed securely. In this
>case, you would add secure="false" to the sslext:link tag that goes back to
>/index.jsp.
>
>-Max

Craig

Re: Going from https on /member.do, back to http on index.jsp?