Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Cédric Grun <pr...@ifrance.com> on 2002/10/11 21:03:11 UTC

lucene vs mysql

I'm currently using mysql for storing file which I index previously with
lucene. I've seen there is a new function in mysql which consists in
full text searching.
I'd like to know which is best between mysql full text search and lucene
search.

I'm also interesting to know how lucene perform lock on index. Can I
index several files simultaneously using thread, or must I wait one file
is indexed for indexing the second ?

thanks

Re: lucene vs mysql

Posted by Remy Amouroux <re...@kelkoo.com>.
Le ven 11/10/2002 à 21:03, Cédric Grun a écrit :
> I'm currently using mysql for storing file which I index previously with
> lucene. I've seen there is a new function in mysql which consists in
> full text searching.
> I'd like to know which is best between mysql full text search and lucene
> search.

Before using Lucene, we looked into Mysql for full text search
functions.

Extracted from Documentation
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Fulltext_Search.html :-)
"MySQL uses a very simple parser to split text into words. A ``word'' is
any sequence of characters consisting of letters, numbers, `'', and `_'.
Any ``word'' that is present in the stopword list or is just too short
(3 characters or less) is ignored."

For us, it was the main reason we decided to not use it: tuning what is
indexed through the Analyzing phase is really a plus in the case of big
number of documents.

We tried to use mysql also with a third party indexer using it as index
storage (mnoGoSearch). The complex requests we had to do (specific to
our case, that's right) was heavily loading MySQL on the platform we use
(IBM AIX on multi-proc). With Lucene, the same service is 100x more
robust (and I'm conservative).

>From my point of view, I will use Mysql full text search in conjunction
with other sql features (joins, aggregation function).
If you think about creating documents from several sources, store them
in Mysql in order to search them with MySQL MATCH function, I would say
that it will cost you the same development to use Lucene with the same
or better performance, and better tunning possibilities.

We are also heavily using MySQL for pure database searches and we are
happy with the performances/price ratio, I promise :-)

	Remy

--
E-mail : Remy.Amouroux@kelkoo.com
Kelkoo R&D Director (http://www.kelkoo.com/)

Re: lucene vs mysql

Posted by Ronald Muller <rk...@12move.nl>.
I have tried/used both. Full text retrieval in MySQL is simple and works
good for simple IR usage. If you want to use more advance features, use
Lucene

Ronald

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: lucene vs mysql

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
MySQL - not sure.  Let us know if you test both.
Locking - sequential.

Otis