Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Hills <ro...@netpaver.com.au> on 2005/07/22 04:21:52 UTC

Automated Server Configuration (was api for server.xml maintenance)

Hi All,

I received no reply to my earlier email in this thread so I thought I'd try and
come up with a less verbose description of my problem.

I'm looking to automate the management of hosts on my server.

Our tomcat servers operate multiple applications, each of which has its own
host entry and root context.  We do this because each application has its
own domain name and the domain name and root context is an important
feature for our clients.

I've read the documentation on the Tomcat Manger and the Tomcat
Deployer in great detail, but as far as I can tell, both only support the
management of contexts under a previously established host.

I'm also aware of the ability to "auto-deploy" applications by depositing their
WAR files into the %CATALINA_HOME%/webapps directory.  However,
these are then associated with a context under the default host, which is not
what I want to achieve.

I'd thought maybe there I could write a request filter that redirects requests
for a specified url (domain name + url) to a context in the default host, but
I'm not even sure that would do what I need, let alone how it would
perform/scale.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments welcome.

Rob Hills
www.netpaver.com.au
Western Australia