Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> on 2014/08/24 00:15:38 UTC

Mentors heartbeat

Hi!

in my never ending quest to help boost the
graduation rate I've come across a few cases
where I had to reach out to project mentors.
Typically the initial list would be around 3
individuals, but the reply would only come
from a single one.

I believe we owe it to the projects to monitor
whether there mentors are MIA and take
corrective actions. There's not too many
promises that we IPMC makes to the podlings,
but promising a reasonable amount of
mentor attention is definitely one of them.

I'm open to suggestions of how we can start
tracking MIA mentors and what actions would
help to remedy the situation.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Guys,

So I spent some time this weekend updating my scripts. They now fully
process missing ticks as well. Here is the list they generated of mentors
from January 2012 - August 2014 that did *not* sign off on a report (note
I'm at the top, bad mentor Chris). The results are a LOT better for wiki
reports with the [ ] mentor name (id) pattern - for those old "Signed off
by
mentor:" patterns, my tool cannot sniff them (in the negative) since if
they
didn't sign off, I don't know who was supposed to. I suppose I could have
cross
reffed the mentor list for the podling at the time, but another day,
another
dollar :) Here you go, for now. To replicate:

1. git clone https://github.com/chrismattmann/apachestuff
2. cd apachestuff
3. ./incubator_mentor_tally

(note you'll need to install Apache Tika into /usr/local/tika and
then alias it to "tika"):

25 mattmann
  23 omalley
  21 acmurthy
  19 olamy
  19 ddas
  15 jbonofre
  14 mnour
  13 antelder
  11 hgomez
  10 mfranklin
  10 gates
  10 asavory
  10 akarasulu
   9 jim
   9 cdouglas
   8 tdunning
   8 hashutosh
   8 benh
   8 asavu
   7 tomwhite
   7 mahadev
   7 jukka
   6 struberg
   6 rubys
   6 nslater
   5 yegor
   5 vanto
   5 tomdz
   5 sanjiva
   5 radup
   5 pramirez
   5 ke4qqq
   5 craigmcc
   4 stevenn
   4 srowen
   4 snoopdave
   4 smarru
   4 rgardler
   4 pauls
   4 niq
   4 nick
   4 mpierce
   4 marrs
   4 kevan
   4 jzb
   4 enis
   4 cutting
   4 chipchilders
   4 ahart
   3 vkaggal
   3 rvs
   3 rbircher
   3 lresende
   3 jochen
   3 hogstrom
   3 henning
   3 gstein
   3 grobmeier
   3 clr
   2 tomaz
   2 thorsten
   2 mriou
   2 larsh
   2 jghoman
   2 isabel
   2 humbedooh
   2 dkulp
   2 carlos
   2 brianm
   2 berndf
   2 ate
   2 arvind
   1 white
   1 vinodkv
   1 todd
   1 thomas
   1 nandana
   1 lewismc
   1 jfarrell
   1 hsaputra
   1 fchrist
   1 dennisl
   1 azeez
   1 apurtell

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Chief Architect
Office: 168-519, Mailstop: 168-527
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:  http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 24 August 2014 19:54, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

>> > What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  Having the board
>> report in machine readable formats provides the same advantages as that
>> afforded incubator reports.
>>
>> If these machine readable reports work out, I see no reason why they would
>> not, then I predict an explosion of tool driven processes, e.g. release
>> voting, podling acceptance and graduation votes, etc.
>>
> I think you forget one important factor...the human one, to make the board
> reports in yaml, we need to convince the board, and I not convinced they
> have a futuristic view as you have. You might also find, just a small
> number of course, people who resist to using svn and want git, so we might
> end up with split data.

It's not a problem. We turn yaml into prose with a template! The board
will never know ... actually, really, I think that the board will be
fine with some information in yaml.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (3980)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Sure Tim I can do that one sec I'll make it an option

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
I said *this* measure was bad, yes. I also explicitly said that I limit my
comments to *this* specific example tooling - I don't see value in counting
"ticks" on a piece of virtual paper over a period of three years. I care
about who is doing a great job today.

Tim suggests a good way to stop this being metric based and more tool based
(i.e. finding mentors who are MIA and thus finding projects that don't have
sufficient coverage). That being said, since the IPMC review the reports
I'm not sure why this is even needed. But I don't see harm in doing it this
way so I'll leave it right there.

Ross

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:05 AM,  <rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Surely we are not going to start counting signing off on a report as indicative of good/bad mentoring?

Not. But what I'm going to start with is this: reflect
on the Incubator Wiki is the statistics on poddlings
who receive NO mentor sign-off at all.

IOW, if at least one mentor sings -- that's fine.
If none do -- we will start tracking it and will
get to the bottom of it if needed.

Basically, this is only meant to help podlings
who consistently don't get any attention from
*any* of their mentors. Not even from a single
one of them.

We owe it to our podlings. Plain and simple.
This is my job to do everything I can to empower them.
And yes that includes calling out bad mentorship
practices.

Now, as Chris M. pointed out -- his tools provide
a nice complimentary statistics that you're free
to use (or ignore). I, personally, will use them.
But only as a tool to help me better understand
past behavior, not as a hard policy for making
decisions.

Hope this makes things clear

Thanks,
Roman (wearing his VP of Incubator hat)

RE: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by rg...@opendirective.com.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 25 August 2014 19:26, Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just want to point out  that lack of activity may mean lack of issues
> that need dealing with not that a mentor gone awol.
>
> Right. And that's why technical side of things (like YAMLizing report,
> etc.) is
> a prerequisite for enabling us to track things like AWOL and react
> accordingly.
>
> On that note, how about if we *at least* start tracking mentor signing off
> on the reports? IOW, we will make it mandatory for *all* mentors (not just
> one) to read/sign off, with an assumption that if that minimum level of
> activity couldn't be detected -- there's clearly something not quite right.

+1

> We can then, start tracking missed sign off in the Mentor Activity section
> of the report. If we have somebody who hasn't showed up for a 3 straight
> month -- that's when IPMC would try to intervene.

hmmm "try to intervene"  sound a bit hard. After 3 month, I would prefer,
mailing the mentor in question, with a reminder of the duties, and take it
from there (maybe that is what you are thinking, I just want to rule out
hard intervention).

rgds
jan i

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <rv...@apache.org>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Just want to point out  that lack of activity may mean lack of issues that need dealing with not that a mentor gone awol.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Aug 24, 2014, at 9:06 AM, Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I am a programmer and like formats like JSON, but  it is true that the
>> world does not only consist of programmers, so I suggest we make 2 webpages:
>> - one page that create/modify the report and update svn with the JSON file
>> - one page where mentors can "sign" the report
>
> json === yaml, and anyone could edit yaml.

YAML works for me.  If we store these reports in a known protected location in svn then people could write what ever tooling they wished to updated.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Everyone who has ever mentored anything is a member of this PMC,
except for those who have actually chosen to depart.

In addition, we have PMC members who specialize in things like NOTICE
files, but don't choose to mentor individual projects.

In general, there is a mentor shortage. If you have a strong mental
stomach, read archives going back a few years, and you can see some
rather, ahem, spirited debates as to whether the entire iPMC/mentor
model is hopelessly broken and should be trashed. Of late, talented
PMC chairs have managed to steer the boat away from those rocks, but
the mentor shortage is never completely gone.

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 24 August 2014 02:07, Alan D. Cabrera <li...@toolazydogs.com> wrote:

> This is pretty cool but I think it underscores the need to get off of free
> form files that need to be scraped.

Its very interesting, when I started looking at incubator, my initial
thought was "with that many IPMC members, there are no need for a new one".
Then I started lurking on a.o. this list, and found the amount of IPMC
members that seems active by sending mail is a fraction.

> I think that maybe for future reports we can have a JSON file in svn that
> people can update.  We could then have our report automatically generated
> from the JSON file for the board report; which, btw, I think should also be
> a JSON file.
>
> wdyt?

Having the reports in svn (JSON is a god format) allows us to easy monitor
which mentors are active on which projects. How to handle the information
is another discussion !

Re: Mentors heartbeat

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Re: Mentors heartbeat