Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Stephen Haberman <st...@chase3000.com> on 2002/09/06 15:39:56 UTC

svn-0.14.2 on windows notes

Two tidbits for Windows users of subversion that I found useful are:

- Placing the libdb40.dll in Apache2/bin will let the Apache service
start without an error

(If this could be noted in the Windows install docs, it'd be great; I
had to dig through the list to find it)

- Also, already mentioned on the list was an error that d:\svn-repo is
not a SVN repo, even though it is. I resolved this by downloading
svn-0.14.1 and dropping it's mod_dav_svn.so file into Apache2/modules
instead of svn-0.14.2's version.

I could then browse the repo via a browser, but then when it came to
writing, I take it the mod_dav_svn.so from .1 doesn't talk well with a
2 repo, as I had to re-create the repo as .1 to be able to write via
WebDAV.

Also, a quick question, I've got 0.14.1 running on WinXP (despite the
warnings about corrupted data, this is just a test installation until
[hopefully] SP1. I can read from another box via Web Folders, but cannot
write (though I can write if I use the svn client).

Has anyone successfully got WinXP Web Folders writing to a Subversion
repo regardless of the repo's platform?

I assumed it was possible as it's all WebDAV based. I'm thinking perhaps
Web Folders doesn't support DeltaV? (I haven't been able to find any
info from Microsoft that states one way or the other). Or is this only
broken with the WinXP-based repo?

Thanks,
Stephen

Re: svn-0.14.2 on windows notes

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Stephen Haberman wrote:

> Has anyone successfully got WinXP Web Folders writing to a Subversion
> repo regardless of the repo's platform?

no.

> I assumed it was possible as it's all WebDAV based. I'm thinking perhaps
> Web Folders doesn't support DeltaV? (I haven't been able to find any
> info from Microsoft that states one way or the other). Or is this only
> broken with the WinXP-based repo?

subversion's WebDAV support is not complete.  we only support (at the
moment) enough webdav to make subversion work.  it is a happy
coincidence that this lets other DAV clients (web folders, os x's
finder, etc) read our repository.  at some point (post 1.0), subversion
will be enhanced so that it is a full WebDAV/DeltaV server, but for now
it only somewhat works.

so unfortunately, even if Web Folders did support DeltaV, it probably
wouldn't work.

-garrett

Re: svn-0.14.2 on windows notes

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Stephen Haberman wrote:

>Two tidbits for Windows users of subversion that I found useful are:
>
>- Placing the libdb40.dll in Apache2/bin will let the Apache service
>start without an error
>
>(If this could be noted in the Windows install docs, it'd be great; I
>had to dig through the list to find it)

Good point. Care to provide a patch for INSTALL?
(The thing is, I don't ever see that problem because I have libdb40.dll
in my PATH -- as the install docs suggest.)

>- Also, already mentioned on the list was an error that d:\svn-repo is
>not a SVN repo, even though it is. I resolved this by downloading
>svn-0.14.1 and dropping it's mod_dav_svn.so file into Apache2/modules
>instead of svn-0.14.2's version.

That means your Apache is too old.

>Also, a quick question, I've got 0.14.1 running on WinXP (despite the
>warnings about corrupted data, this is just a test installation until
>[hopefully] SP1. I can read from another box via Web Folders, but cannot
>write (though I can write if I use the svn client).
>
>Has anyone successfully got WinXP Web Folders writing to a Subversion
>repo regardless of the repo's platform?

I'd be surprised if anyone could do that, given that mod_dav_svn.so
doesn't support DAV auto-versioning.

>I assumed it was possible as it's all WebDAV based. I'm thinking perhaps
>Web Folders doesn't support DeltaV? (I haven't been able to find any
>info from Microsoft that states one way or the other). Or is this only
>broken with the WinXP-based repo?

This is a FAQ ... Subversion does not provide a complete DAV
implementation yet, only the bits that are necessary for the SVN client
to talk to the SVN server.

Re: svn-0.14.2 on windows notes

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
kent@springfed.com wrote:

>I looked around the site quite a bit before posting this ...
>
>Where are Windows files and installation directions?

I don't understand the question. If you mean Windows binaries, they're
where they have always been -- in the downloads area of the Subversion
home page (subversion.tigris.org). Or did you have something else in mind?

>Am I correct in believing that Cygwin is no longer required?

We're still using the Cygwin versions of diff and diff3 in the Windows
installer, although hopefully that won't be necessary much longer. Apart
from that, Cygwin was never required.

Re: svn-0.14.2 on windows notes

Posted by ke...@springfed.com.
I looked around the site quite a bit before posting this ...

Where are Windows files and installation directions?

Am I correct in believing that Cygwin is no longer required?

Thanks,
Kent