Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Randy Kobes <ra...@theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca> on 2001/10/11 04:32:30 UTC

Re: Lets Get it on!

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Jim Cox wrote:

> "Purcell, Scott" wrote:Re:
> Subject: [OT] What hourly rate to charge for programming?
>
> > What kind of thread is this?
> > I ask a question about modperl on NT and I get riddled from the list for
> > using NT. Then we have a thread that goes for two days about hourly charges?
>
> Maybe your NT could not stay up long enough to receive the answer. :)

Friendly ribbing aside, let's not lose sight of Scott's original
sentiment ... In the two years since we've been keeping Win32 mod_perl
binaries here, there's been an average of about 30 downloads per
day, suggesting Win32 users make up a fair percentage of mod_perl
users ... And such a user, working (willingly or not) in M$'s own
backyard, and perhaps amongst skeptical colleagues, can be a pretty
strong advocate of free software ... So in a large list like this,
remember to include the :)s ...

best regards,
randy kobes

[huge OT]Re: Lets Get it on!

Posted by Mark Maunder <ma...@swiftcamel.com>.
Randy Kobes wrote:

> Friendly ribbing aside, let's not lose sight of Scott's original
> sentiment ... In the two years since we've been keeping Win32 mod_perl
> binaries here, there's been an average of about 30 downloads per
> day, suggesting Win32 users make up a fair percentage of mod_perl
> users ...

[advance appologies for persisting advocacy thread]
Absolutelly. Win32 is an entry point for many developers before they move to open
source as  noticed on the Perl beginners list and I think it's quite important to
support  the platform (both technical and political) because from an advocacy POV,
it's a great source of new recruits (to apache, mod_perl and an open source
platform).

[footnote: use linux for it's flexibility and built in compiler - win32 is a pain in
the rear when it comes to the latter and former]