Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/22 03:52:53 UTC

Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...

I saw http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence just now.  If you read "0 About the
Cwiki Site" its pretty interesting.

What's really compelling is they have got a static side export utility
running from the Cwiki site -- which means you could use if to generate
documentation to ship with the product.

We should probably have two CWiki's (according to the About site).
QPID and QPIDDOCS  the second one being restricted to folk who've signed the
ICLA so we can ship it with the distro.

Apparantly a PMC member is required to get it up and running -- who can do
that?

John

Re: Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...

Posted by Debbie Moynihan <de...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Regarding the PDF function - I've played around a bit with Confluence as
part of the CXF discussion.  I wanted to print out a couple sections of the
documentation as PDF to read on a flight and the PDF creation utility didn't
work on the Confluence documentation pages which really surprised me  (this
was about a week ago).  If it did work, it sounds like a very nice feature
to have.

Regarding look-and-feel and web-site - Confluence does have a bunch of nice
utilities for making pages look nice (like the Geronimo ones) using
templates and themes, for example to easily add a navigation bar.   I think
Geronimo is a very nice example of a Confluence site that is well-organized
- they have multiple wikis as you can see from the Confluence dashboard
<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/dashboard.action>on Apache.  (I think
they are using Confluence spaces but I'm not sure - I've sent a note off to
one of the Geronimo team members to get a bit more background on their
site).  There is a list of Confluence plug-ins
here<http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFEXT/Home>(not sure
what the process is for adding plug-ins into apache's confluence
though).

I'm willing to help whichever one is chosen.  I found Confluence to be more
"walk up and use" versus moinmoin, but moinmoin is easy to pick-up.

Deb

Posted by ro...@jpmorgan.com.
I thought the main thing was that we can generate a static site from the
Confluence installation on Apache?

Here is the Geronimo pages link I posted previously:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxSITE/index.html

Can we do that with MoinMoin?

RG

|         |           Alan Conway      |
|         |           <aconway@redhat.c|
|         |           om>              |
|         |           26/09/2006 02:21 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                                |
  |       To:       qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                  |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                      |
  |       Subject:  Re: Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...                                                                      |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

There's a feature comparison at:
http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/MoinMoin+Confluence
It doesn't really help since they are very similar feature-wise.

Seems we're down to "look and feel". Robert - can you point to an
exemplary confluence wiki that shows off the features you feel are
missing from MoinMoin?

Cheers,
Alan.

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 22:19 +0100, Robert Greig wrote:
> What do we need to do now to close out this issue and make a decision?
>
> I want to transfer documentation from the internal JPMC wiki to one on
> Apache, but I do not want to have to move it twice.
>
> RG

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates.

This transmission may contain information that is privileged, confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank you.

Re: Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by John O'Hara <jo...@gmail.com>.
I love the fact that the folk running Apache have got it exporting static
pages.

That's a huge win -- ActiveMQ is doing it for its sites, and they look good;
so its a proven technique too.

The immediacy of a Wiki, the performance and 'shipability' of static pages,
JIRA + SVN integration and a neat GUI editor too.
What's not to like about it?

John

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
On Sep 23, 2006, at 1:09 PM, Robert Greig wrote:

> On 23/09/06, Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com> wrote:
>
>> The claims that Confluence makes regarding their functionality
>> "around the edges" vs. what actually works also seems to be somewhat
>> in question. For example, they claim to be able to generate PDF, but
>> over on the CeltiXfire list, there was a discussion about this
>> recently and it turns out that the feature doesn't actually work. I
>> personally don't know whether it does or doesn't,
>
> Many people in JPMC use the PDF generation feature and it definitely
> does work. That is not to say there is not a bug in a specific case
> but a blanket "it does not work" is simply not true.

Like I said, the claim came from the CXF mailing list [1], not from me.

>> Obviously I'll conform to whatever our project ultimately chooses,
>> but that's my 2 cents based on many years of completely positive
>> experiences with MoinMoin as both a user and an admin.
>
> I think it comes down to whether Confluence can help the project. If
> it makes it easier to generate an attractive project website then I
> support it. I don't think when comparing MoinMoin and Confluence in
> terms of wiki functionality there is much to choose between them.
> (Although Confluence has a WYSIWYG editor which has been around for
> nearly a year now so that might be seen as an advantage by some
> people).

Sounds reasonable.

--steve

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Vinoski <vi...@iona.com>.
I've personally been administering dozens of MoinMoin wikis for many
years (5, 6, 7?) internally at IONA, and I've always liked it. It's
written in very clean Python, has an easily understood architecture,
has been innovating in the WikiWiki space for years, is used across
the Web by a wide variety of projects, has an active community behind
it, and is easily extended with both new functionality under the
covers (Python) and with different looks (stylesheets, etc.). A wide
variety of themes and plugins are available for MoinMoin.

I have personally never used Confluence, but it's used by some other
OSS projects we're involved in, and my colleagues who now use it seem
to think it's OK.

The only pushback I get at IONA against MoinMoin is from some of our
non-technical people. They don't grok Wiki markup and so would prefer
a GUI editor, but MoinMoin only recently added one so it's had a few
minor bugs, most of which seem to be cleaned up by now.

MoinMoin is also a "pure" OSS project in that I'm unaware of any
corporate interests directly profiting from it. The same cannot be
said for Confluence. Frankly, I'm surprised that Apache even allows it.

The claims that Confluence makes regarding their functionality
"around the edges" vs. what actually works also seems to be somewhat
in question. For example, they claim to be able to generate PDF, but
over on the CeltiXfire list, there was a discussion about this
recently and it turns out that the feature doesn't actually work. I
personally don't know whether it does or doesn't, but either way I
don't think the Qpid project should be debugging such features for
the company that sells Confluence.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
I don't mind either way on this topic, except to say that we need to create
clean and nice public pages. What ever makes that easier seems logical,
but since
I have not done it with either of the two wiki's I can't add more than
this to
the discussion

Carl.

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
I voted MoinMoin because I've used it before and liked it, I don't know
much about confluence.

If we can get benefits from confluence then it might be worth moving.
Can we set up a QPIDDOC cwiki for starters and try using it to generate
some docs? If it works and we love it we can ditch moinmoin and set up a
QPID Cwiki. If it's great for docs but not for general use  use we can
keep both.

Seems like it's normal practice to have separate doc & devel wikis
anyway, so it's not a disaster if we have 2 different kinds of wiki -
obviously it'd be better if one is clearly superior and to lower usage
confusion.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Cliff Schmidt <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ma...@jpmorgan.com>.
I voted for MoinMoin as I'd used it in the past and found it quite good.
That said being able to use Confluence to generate our main website seems
like a strong case for using it over MoinMoin.

--
Martin

|         |           robert.j.greig@jp|
|         |           morgan.com       |
|         |           2006-09-22 09:09 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |
  |       To:       qpid-dev@incubator.apache.org                                                                                |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  Re: Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...                                                                    |

Yes there was a brief discussion of this in the last couple of days.

I agree with what you suggest - I certainly think that using Confluence
would be much easier than messing around with xml/html to generate a site
and other projects that are moving to "Cwiki" are citing this as the reason
to move. The Geronimo pages link I posted looked pretty good.

I know that while I was away people voted for MoinMoin as our wiki - does
anyone have a strong preference for it over Confluence?

RG

|         |           "John O'Hara"    |
|         |           <john.r.ohara@gma|
|         |           il.com>          |
|         |           22/09/2006 02:52 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |

> [...]

Re: Getting a Confluence Wiki for Qpid...

Posted by ro...@jpmorgan.com.
Yes there was a brief discussion of this in the last couple of days.

I agree with what you suggest - I certainly think that using Confluence
would be much easier than messing around with xml/html to generate a site
and other projects that are moving to "Cwiki" are citing this as the reason
to move. The Geronimo pages link I posted looked pretty good.

I know that while I was away people voted for MoinMoin as our wiki - does
anyone have a strong preference for it over Confluence?

RG

|         |           "John O'Hara"    |
|         |           <john.r.ohara@gma|
|         |           il.com>          |
|         |           22/09/2006 02:52 |
|         |           qpid-dev         |