Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si> on 2005/07/15 13:54:34 UTC

File args

Hi all,

<rant>
Sometimes I find the lack of proper documentation quite !#$?@!!! Mainly
when it comes to command line switches. For example

- - -
[c:\]svn help mv
move (mv, rename, ren): Move and/or rename something in working copy or
repository.
usage: move SRC DST

  Note:  this subcommand is equivalent to a 'copy' and 'delete'.

  SRC and DST can both be working copy (WC) paths or URLs:
    WC  -> WC:   move and schedule for addition (with history)
    URL -> URL:  complete server-side rename.

Valid options:
  -r [--revision] arg      : ARG (some commands also take ARG1:ARG2 range)
                             A revision argument can be one of:
                                NUMBER       revision number
                                "{" DATE "}" revision at start of the date
                                "HEAD"       latest in repository
                                "BASE"       base rev of item's working
copy
                                "COMMITTED"  last commit at or before BASE
                                "PREV"       revision just before
COMMITTED
  -q [--quiet]             : print as little as possible
  --force                  : force operation to run
  -m [--message] arg       : specify commit message ARG
  -F [--file] arg          : read data from file ARG
  --force-log              : force validity of log message source
  --editor-cmd arg         : use ARG as external editor
  --encoding arg           : treat value as being in charset encoding ARG
  --username arg           : specify a username ARG
  --password arg           : specify a password ARG
  --no-auth-cache          : do not cache authentication tokens
  --non-interactive        : do no interactive prompting
  --config-dir arg         : read user configuration files from directory
ARG

[c:\]
- - -

Now, I imagine, that with -F option it is possible to move many files in a
single "transaction" (and I want to move files, not folders), but nowhere
it is possible to discover if (1) that is true and (2) what is the syntax
of the file. And I have searched the SVN book as well.
</rant>

Can someone please help?

What I want to achieve in the end is this: Through the copy command in the
good old command interface I have created the folder named
"/repo1/proj1/trunk/version-2.0" - which is stupid. So now I want to move
all the files and subfolders one folder UP to  /repo1/proj1/trunk/ without
creating a bunch of new revisions. Is that possible?

Cheers,
---
  Miha Vitorovic
  Inženir v tehničnem področju
  Customer Support Engineer

   NIL Data Communications,  Tivolska cesta 48,  1000 Ljubljana,  Slovenia
   Phone +386 1 4746 500      Fax +386 1 4746 501     http://www.NIL.si

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Michael L Brown wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Exactly what I was hoping for.  I saw the URL -> URL example but didn't
> know for sure if there was a limitation as to how far up the tree it could
> go.

Nope, any directory is just like any other directory in the repository.
 The fact that we call some "trunk", "branches", and "tags" is just a
convention.  Subversion doesn't treat any of these directories specially
in any way.  You could rename "trunk" to "hooglefritz" if you wanted,
and Subversion would gladly do it. :-)

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Michael L Brown <mi...@philips.com>.
Thanks.

Exactly what I was hoping for.  I saw the URL -> URL example but didn't
know for sure if there was a limitation as to how far up the tree it could
go.

MB
 --
Mike Brown (Michael.L.Brown@Philips.com)
            Lotus Bloats: Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS

Ben Collins-Sussman
07/15/2005 09:42 AM

Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS@PHILIPS
cc
users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject
Re: Simple svn move question
Classification

On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Michael L Brown wrote:

> I'm interested in renaming a couple of branches.  Basically I want
> Branch-A to become Branch-C and Branch-B to become Branch-A.
>
> Will "svn move" let me do that?  From what I see in the book, it
> appears
> that one can only rename stuff inside of a trunk or branch.

$ svn mv URL-A URL-C   -m "first rename"
$ svn mv URL-B URL-A   -m "second rename"

No working copy required, even.

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Michael L Brown wrote:

> I'm interested in renaming a couple of branches.  Basically I want
> Branch-A to become Branch-C and Branch-B to become Branch-A.
>
> Will "svn move" let me do that?  From what I see in the book, it
> appears
> that one can only rename stuff inside of a trunk or branch.

$ svn mv URL-A URL-C   -m "first rename"
$ svn mv URL-B URL-A   -m "second rename"

No working copy required, even.

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Michael, your post appeared in an unrelated thread.  Please read:

Thank you.

-Karl

Simple svn move question

Re: File args

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:02 AM, Mark Phippard wrote:

> The -F option always refers to the commit message.

Actually, no, I think 'svn propset' can suck a property value from -F
as well.

So we need to document this better.

Re: File args

Posted by Mark Phippard <Ma...@softlanding.com>.
Miha Vitorovic <mv...@nil.si> wrote on 07/15/2005 09:54:34 AM:

> Now, I imagine, that with -F option it is possible to move many files in
> single "transaction" (and I want to move files, not folders), but
nowhere
> it is possible to discover if (1) that is true and (2) what is the
syntax
> of the file. And I have searched the SVN book as well.

The -F option always refers to the commit message.  You can specify a file
that contains the commit message.

The easiest way to do what you want is this (2 commits):

svn delete url://repo1/proj1/trunk
svn cp url://repo1/proj1/version-2.0 url://repo1/proj1/trunk

Or something like that.

The key is that on the copy command you need to let it create the "trunk"
folder or else it will put the folder inside the existing trunk folder.

Mark