Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by keyur sheth <ke...@yahoo.com> on 2006/09/07 04:23:45 UTC

Error while converting tomcat container from http to https

Hi everybody,

                     I am trying to make the tomcat container secure by converting it from http to https. I am using the documentation on the  following website.
  http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.0-doc/ssl-howto.html

                     I had implemented this before by creating the self-signed certificate and it worked. But for converting it to make it trusted I deleted all the files like the .keystore file and created the new .keystore and followed the steps in documentation.

                     I am implementing the part in which you send the CSR to the CA for gettting the trusted certificate. So I sent the CSR and got the three certificates from the trusted authority. The root certificate, chain certificate and the signed certificate. I imported all the certificate files one by one following the sequence root, chain and signed certificate.

                     But now there is some error by which I am not able to see the page when I write the URL with https://xxxx.xxx.xxx:8443/gridsphere. But if I give http://xxxx.xxx.xxx:8080/ tomcat is starting and also also  http://xxxx.xxx.xxx:8080/gridsphere the gridsphere application is starting. I shutdown the tomcat and also restarted the tomcat by making all these changes. But still it didn't showed up. The error shown is as follows:-

  Sep 2, 2006 1:39:14 PM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol start
SEVERE: Error starting endpoint
java.io.IOException: Couldn't find private key in this file
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.puretls.PureTLSSocketFactory.init(PureTLSSocketFactory.java:149)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.puretls.PureTLSSocketFactory.createSocket(PureTLSSocketFactory.java:69)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.initEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:292)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.startEndpoint(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:312)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol.start(Http11BaseProtocol.java:149)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol.start(Http11Protocol.java:95)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1089)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:459)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
   at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)
Sep 2, 2006 1:39:14 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException:  Protocol handler start failed: java.io.IOException: Couldn't find private key in this file
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1091)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:459)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:680)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:536)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:275)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:413)

              Can somebody tell me what mistake I am doing. Have anybody faced the same problem before.

  Thanking you,
  Keyur

---------------------------------

Re: Error while converting tomcat container from http to https

Posted by annlee <an...@manchester.ac.uk>.
Hi Keyur,

I've just tried this out and it works. You should add the
SSLImplementation="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation"  in
Connector tag in server.xml file that resides under $CATALINA_HOME/conf
directory. So, it should look like this in server.xml

<Connector  keystoreFile="/path/to/keystore" keystorePass="keystorepassword"
                port="8443" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"
                enableLookups="true" disableUploadTimeout="true"
                acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"

SSLImplementation="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation"/>

Change the keystoreFile and keystorePass accordingly.
Hope this help.

Ann

Posted by keyur sheth <ke...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Bill,

Re: Error while converting tomcat container from http to https

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
PureTLS doesn't use the standard Java keystore format.  Consult the PureTLS
docs for the correct format.  Alternatively, specify
sSLImplementation="org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSEImplementation" on
the <Connector /> element to use JSSE instead of PureTLS.