Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thom Borton <bo...@phys.ethz.ch> on 2004/07/06 14:31:36 UTC

branching: dragging along other branch

Hello

I have the following problem to which I don't find a solution:

I have several files in the trunc of a project/repository, let's call
them A, B and C.

Now I want to create a branch of the project, in which I will make
changes to file C, call the new one C'.

Meanwhile, the development of files A and B in the trunc will go on,
call them A_ and B_. I know that the development of these files does not
interfere with file C.

When I do a checkout of the branch, I will get the files A, B (from when
the branch was initiated) and C' which is the last change to C of the
branch that I commited.

BUT: What I want is to checkout the new A_ and B_ and the new C', i.e.
"the newest of trunc and branch".

Is this possible?

Thanks a lot for the help.

Yours, Tobias

--
Thom Borton
Switzerland

Re: branching: dragging along other branch

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 09:31, Thom Borton wrote:

> BUT: What I want is to checkout the new A_ and B_ and the new C', i.e.
> "the newest of trunc and branch".
>
> Is this possible?

Sure, it's possible with all version control systems.  Check out a
working copy of 'trunk', so that you have A_, B_, and C_.  Then 'svn
switch' the C_ file to "new" C' on the branch.  You can read about the
switch command in chapter 4 of the book.

Re: branching: dragging along other branch

Posted by Thom Borton <bo...@phys.ethz.ch>.
It seems that I have found the solution :-) The solution lies in svn switch.

 From the svn handbook:

In other words, if a user knows that the branch-work only needs to
happen on a specific subdirectory, they use svn switch to move only that
subdirectory to the branch. (Or sometimes users will switch just a
single working file to the branch!) That way, they can continue to
receive normal 'trunk' updates to most of their working copy, but the
switched portions will remain immune (unless someone commits a change to
their branch). This feature adds a whole new dimension to the concept of
a “mixed working copy”—not only can working copies contain a mixture of
working revisions, but a mixture of repository locations as well.

Thom

Posted by François Beausoleil <fb...@ftml.net>.
Hello Thom,

Thom Borton wrote:

> BUT: What I want is to checkout the new A_ and B_ and the new C', i.e.
> "the newest of trunc and branch".
>
> Is this possible?

If I remember correctly, you should be able to svn switch C only to C'.
  Check "svn help switch" for more information.

For instance:

$ svn info

$ svn sw \
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/0.37.0/tools/client-side/bash_completion