Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Immo Landwerth <Im...@TheprojectGroup.de> on 2005/09/23 17:40:24 UTC

TCP Appender

Hi there,

First of all I have to say that Log4Net is the best logging library I have ever seen. Our company evaluated between 5 and 10 logging apis, some of them were even commercial ones. But Log4Net really kicks ass! :-)

For our company I have written a log viewer that listens on UDP. This tool works just fine but as you guys know UDP has one major problem: Sometimes messages are just "eaten", sometimes they come in a wrong order etc. For logging purposes where performance of the app is more important than 100 % correct log behaviour UDP might be the correct choice. For the purposes of our company performance is not an issue but we use this tool for live-diagnosis of customer problems.

So I wonder if you guys could create a TCP appender? I guess many people would love that, too :-)

Thanks,

Best regards,

Immo Landwerth
Software Developer
__________________________________

    The Project Group GmbH
    - your project experts. -
    Neherstraße 9
    81675 München
    Germany

    Fon +49 (89) 61 55 93 - 51
    Fax +49 (89) 61 55 93 - 40

    il@TheProjectGroup.de
    http://www.TheProjectGroup.de
__________________________________

Re: TCP Appender

Posted by Ron Grabowski <ro...@yahoo.com>.
Do you know about Chainsaw:

 http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/images/chainsaw-fullscreen.jpg

Its a log viewer that is able to display logging events in real-time
from UDP, files, etc. sources. Its very configurable. You're able to
restrict messages from just certain loggers, certain levels, etc. To
set it up you need to make a config file for it and tell it load this
file when the program starts. I call mine Udp.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
 <log4j:configuration
  xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
  <plugin name="UDPReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.net.UDPReceiver">
   <param name="Port" value="8080" />
  </plugin>
 </log4j:configuration>

Then you need add an UdpAppender in your application's log4net config:

 <appender name="UdpAppender" type="log4net.Appender.UdpAppender">
  <remoteAddress value="127.0.0.1" />
   <remotePort value="8080" />
   <layout type="log4net.Layout.XmlLayoutSchemaLog4j">
    <locationInfo value="true" />
   </layout>
 </appender>

Here is the download link: