Posted to dev@druid.apache.org by Xavier Léauté <xv...@apache.org> on 2021/04/06 21:36:46 UTC

Enabling dependabot in our github repository

Hi folks, as you know Druid has a lot of dependencies, and keeping up with
the latest versions of everything, whether it relates to fixing CVEs or
other improvements is a lot of manual work.

I suggest we enable Github's dependabot in our repository to keep our
dependencies up to date. The bot is also helpful in providing a short
commit log summary to understand changes.
This might yield a flurry of PRs initially, but we can configure it to
exclude libraries or version ranges that we know are unsafe for us to
upgrade to.

It looks like some other ASF repos have this enabled already (see
https://github.com/apache/commons-imaging/pull/126), so hopefully this only
requires filing an INFRA ticket.

Happy to take care of it if folks are on board.

Thanks!
Xavier

Re: Enabling dependabot in our github repository

Posted by Julian Hyde <jh...@gmail.com>.
I agree that PRs should not be committed immediately and unconditionally when the dependabot finds them. But if we defer, there is a concern that good PRs will be forgotten. How about making a particular person (say the release manager) or triggering event (say voting on an RC) responsible for checking all applicable PRs have been applied?

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gian Merlino <gi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Xavier Léauté <xa...@confluent.io.INVALID>.

Posted by Maytas Monsereenusorn <ma...@apache.org>.