Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/02 22:12:50 UTC

[DISCUSS] Can we Retire org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes to the Sling attic?

Hi,

as part of SLING-6887 I'm almost done with removing all usage of
org.json and commons.json from trunk. In a nutshell, the last artifact
that would need to be migrated is:

org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes in contrib/jcr/js/nodetypes

However, it doesn't look like there has been much development around
it in the last couple of years - hence I was thinking, can we retire
it maybe?

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls
karlpauls@gmail.com

Re: [DISCUSS] Can we Retire org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes to the Sling attic?

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bd...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2017 at 2:30 PM, Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ...it looks like the only consumer of the
>> org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes artifact is the
>> org.apache.sling.resource-editor in contrib/explorers/resourceeditor....
>
> That editor is not in our launchpad IMO, so I suppose it's fine
> retiring the org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes bundle *if* the
> resource-editor uses a released version of it.

the resource editor is not used in the launchpad and yes, it is using
a released version of the nodetypes.

> And maybe add a note to the editor's readme that it's using that
> obsolete bundle and should be ported to the next json stuff
> eventually.

Makes sense. Let's see if somebody else has a different opinion -
otherwise, I'll go ahead and all for a vote.

regards,

Karl

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
As a little follow-up, it looks like the only consumer of the
org.apache.sling.jcr.js.nodetypes artifact is the
org.apache.sling.resource-editor in contrib/explorers/resourceeditor.
It almost looks like if we retire the nodetypes we might have to
retire the resource-editor as well.

Again, if somebody thinks these are still used and/or is willing to
maintain them (which would include redoing the nodetypes without
commons.json) thats perfectly fine - but if not, I would call a vote
for retiring them.

regards,

Karl

--