Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Atita Arora <at...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/25 14:39:30 UTC

SPLITSHARD throwing OutOfMemory Error

Hi,

I am working on a test setup with Solr 6.1.0 cloud with 1 collection
sharded across 2 shards with no replication. When triggered a SPLITSHARD
command it throws "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" everytime.
I tried this with multiple heap settings of 8, 12 & 20G but every time it
does create 2 sub-shards but then fails eventually.
I know the issue => https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5214 has been
resolved but the trace looked very similar to this one.
Also just to ensure that I do not run into exceptions due to merge as
reported in this ticket, I also tried running optimize before proceeding
with splitting the shard.
I issued the following commands :

1.
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?collection=testcollection&shard=shard1&action=SPLITSHARD

This threw java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

2.
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?collection=testcollection&shard=shard1&action=SPLITSHARD&async=1000

Then I ran with async=1000 and checked the status. Every time It's creating
the sub shards, but not splitting the index.

Is there something that I am not doing correctly?

Please guide.

Thanks,
Atita

Re: SPLITSHARD throwing OutOfMemory Error

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Atita,

It would be good to consider upgrading to have the use of the better
features like better memory consumption and better authentication.

On a side note, it is also good to upgrade now in Solr 7, as Solr Indexes
can only be upgraded from the previous major release version (Solr 6) to
the current major release version (Solr 7). Since you are using Solr 6.1,
so when Solr 8 comes around, it will not be possible to upgrade directly,
and the index will have to be upgrade to Solr 7 first before upgrading to
Solr 8.
http://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_5/indexupgrader-tool.html

Regards,
Edwin

Posted by Atita Arora <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andrzej,

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
I know it’s not much help if you’re stuck with Solr 6.1 … but Solr 7.5 comes with an alternative strategy for SPLITSHARD that doesn’t consume as much memory and nearly doesn’t consume additional disk space on the leader. This strategy can be turned on by “splitMethod=link” parameter.

> On 4 Oct 2018, at 10:23, Atita Arora <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Edwin,
>
> Thanks for following up on this.
>
> So here are the configs :
>
> Memory - 30G - 20 G to Solr
> Disk - 1TB
> Index = ~ 500G
>
> and I think that it possibly is due to the reason why this could be
> happening is that during split shard, the unsplit index + split index
> persists on the instance and may be causing this.
> I actually tried splitshard on another instance with index size 64G and it
> went through without any issues.
>
> I would appreciate if you have additional information to enlighten me on
> this issue.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
>
> Atita
>
> On Thu, Oct 4, 2018 at 9:47 AM Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Atita,
>>
>> What is the amount of memory that you have in your system?
>> And what is your index size?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Edwin
>>
>> On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 22:39, Atita Arora <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am working on a test setup with Solr 6.1.0 cloud with 1 collection
>>> sharded across 2 shards with no replication. When triggered a SPLITSHARD
>>> command it throws "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space"
>> everytime.
>>> I tried this with multiple heap settings of 8, 12 & 20G but every time it
>>> does create 2 sub-shards but then fails eventually.
>>> I know the issue => https://jira.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-5214 has
>> been
>>> resolved but the trace looked very similar to this one.
>>> Also just to ensure that I do not run into exceptions due to merge as
>>> reported in this ticket, I also tried running optimize before proceeding
>>> with splitting the shard.
>>> I issued the following commands :
>>>
>>> 1.
>>>

>> http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?collection=testcollection&shard=shard1&action=SPLITSHARD
>>>
>>> This threw java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
>>>
>>> 2.
>>>

>> http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?collection=testcollection&shard=shard1&action=SPLITSHARD&async=1000
>>>
>>> Then I ran with async=1000 and checked the status. Every time It's
>> creating
>>> the sub shards, but not splitting the index.
>>>
>>> Is there something that I am not doing correctly?
>>>
>>> Please guide.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Atita

—

Andrzej Białecki

Re: SPLITSHARD throwing OutOfMemory Error

Posted by Atita Arora <at...@gmail.com>.
Hi Edwin,

Posted by Zheng Lin Edwin Yeo <ed...@gmail.com>.
Hi Atita,