Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jan Šmucr <Ja...@aimtecglobal.com> on 2022/11/23 12:12:34 UTC

Message property keys allowed characters

Hello.

I’ve been working with Artemis for a while, and back in the days, when I was developing our core clients, I had some issues with message property keys format. We use Java properties style metadata, such as:

control.payload.origin=/home/AIM/inbound/file.txt
control.source.environment=test
control.source.host=editest27a
user.connector=sftp
user.messageGuid=3MIp53uLGNfrzOjxSevEgK
user.protocol=sftp
user.sftp.user=AIM
…

Originally, I used to have issues with this syntax, so I always convert "."  to "_", "_" to "$_" and "$" to "$$" to overcome this.

But recently I’ve discovered that dots in fact work in key names! What a nasty surprise!
So before I get rid of this escaping thing all over our infrastructure: Are there any key naming rules beyond what is stated in the JMS docs? [1]

Thank you.
Jan

[1] https://docs.oracle.com/javaee/7/api/javax/jms/Message.html