Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Jay Potharaju <js...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/16 22:38:30 UTC

Best practices for backup & restore

Hi,
I was wondering if there are any best practices for doing solr backup &
restore. In the past when running backup, I stopped indexing during the
backup process.

I am looking at this documentation and it says that indexing can continue
when backup is in progress.
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Making+and+Restoring+Backups

Any recommendations ?

--
Thanks
Jay

Re: Best practices for backup & restore

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.
I think it's depends what you are backing up and restoring from. Hardware failure? Accidental delete?  For my use case my master indexer stores the index on a San with daily snap shots for reliability, then my live searching master is on a San as well, my live slave searchers are all on SSD drives for speed. In my situation that means the test index is backed up daily. A copy of the live index is backed up daily and the SSD's can die and it doesn't matter to me.  I don't think there is a best practice, just find how risk adverse you are and how much performance you require