Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2005/01/19 11:31:47 UTC

[jelly] gump taglib breakages

The following taglibs are now broken. These all appear to be because
newer dependencies are not backwards compatible (though I haven't looked
into it at this point)
jetty (commons-codec dependency introduced for httpclient)
util (commons-beanutils changes)
bsf (bsf changes)

Does anyone have an interest in updating these?

- Brett

Re: [jelly] gump taglib breakages

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks!

- Brett

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
>>Is httpclient 2.0 instantaneously disappearing when 3.0 is released?
>>

>Don't most projects think that way?  There are some honorary
>exceptions, but how often do you see "use 2.x instead" if users find a
>bug in 1.x?

Yes, but if it is working fine, there is rarely motivation to move "just
because".

>Gump does.  There is a project descriptor for the httpclient 2.x
>branch, that you could build against.
>
>  <project name="commons-httpclient-2.0-branch">

Ok, sorry. I should have checked that first. I'll give that a try.

>>With Jelly approaching (finally) a 1.0 release, its really not the
>>time to be upgrading to beta dependencies :)
>>

>Understood.
>
>So you are going to have a final release of forehead before that?

beta-5 is a final release - the code hasn't been touched since ;)

Actually, we've already discussed folding forehead into Jelly and
getting rid of the dependency.

Cheers,

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Is httpclient 2.0 instantaneously disappearing when 3.0 is released?

Don't most projects think that way?  There are some honorary
exceptions, but how often do you see "use 2.x instead" if users find a
bug in 1.x?

Moving these philosophical discussions out of the way

> IMO if a project introduces a major version (or a release otherwise
> not backwards compatible), and they continue to support the previous
> version (ie its not archived), then gump should allow a project to
> build against it.

Gump does.  There is a project descriptor for the httpclient 2.x
branch, that you could build against.

  <project name="commons-httpclient-2.0-branch">

You may find it requires commons-codec as well, though.  Not sure
about httpclient 2.0.2, which is their latest non-beta release.

> With Jelly approaching (finally) a 1.0 release, its really not the
> time to be upgrading to beta dependencies :)

Understood.

So you are going to have a final release of forehead before that?
Just kidding.

Stefan

Re: [jelly] gump taglib breakages

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
>>Yes, in practice this is going to be fine, but its hardly a good
>>practice to introduce a stated dependency on something you're not
>>using.
>>

>True.  But that you are going to use soon 8-)
>
>You could upgrade the dependency to httpclient 3.0-beta.

Is httpclient 2.0 instantaneously disappearing when 3.0 is released? IMO

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005, Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you mean the gump build is broken, or the taglibs build in
> isolation is broken?

In the "httpclient needs codec now" case this really is just a place
where the taglib inherits a dependency on commons-codec via
commons-httpclient but the project.xml doesn't know this.  If you add
this, I don't think anything else needs to change and it should be
perfectly backwards compatible.  AFAIU httpclient 3.x is not that far
from a release anyway.

> I'm happy to fix the builds if they're broken using they're stated
> dependencies, but as for changing the builds to keep up with HEAD of
> Jetty or BSF, I don't see the point.

Fair enough.

Stefan

Re: [jelly] gump taglib breakages

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
>I'm happy to fix the builds if they're broken using they're stated
>dependencies, but as for changing the builds to keep up with HEAD of
>Jetty or BSF, I don't see the point.

The latter is the case (its actually httpclient HEAD, not jetty HEAD),
so that's fair enough - I was just checking. In particular, BSF is using
a release candidate.

>We as users of these libraries should be keeping up with released
>versions, and making the library developers aware if they've busted
>us.

I think this is by design in a couple of cases (httpclient 3.0, but not
sure about beanutils).

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org>.
I just updated everything and at least bsf and jetty build and test
fine. Do you mean with latest versions of the dependencies ?

paul

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 19 Jan 2005, at 10:31, Brett Porter wrote:

> The following taglibs are now broken. These all appear to be because
> newer dependencies are not backwards compatible (though I haven't
> looked into it at this point)
> jetty (commons-codec dependency introduced for httpclient)
> util (commons-beanutils changes)
> bsf (bsf changes)
>
> Does anyone have an interest in updating these?

i'm a bit surprised that util is broke and it's probably easy to fix so
i'll try to find some time to take a look. (may be the weekend before i
get round to it.)

- robert