Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2009/03/19 14:48:07 UTC

Firedocs integration code (was: Editor situation)

Hi Lenya devs,

I have committed the firedocs integration modules (rest, atom) to the
contributions area. Unfortunately I forgot to add the credits in the
commit message :(

So here's a big thank you to the Universitätsklinikum Freiburg for
donating the code!

I'll provide some more information on how to use the modules as soon as
possible.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

Re: In-place and code editing (Re: Firedocs integration code)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Florent André schrieb:
> On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:53:52 +0100, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> Florent André schrieb:
>>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:22:01 +0100, Andreas Hartmann
> <an...@apache.org>

> [...]
>>> When I speak about sitemap and xslt editing, I think to bespin (this
> mail
>>> :
>>>
> http://lenya.markmail.org/search/?q=bespin#query:bespin+page:1+mid:eaukjoacfewagi34+state:results)
>>> In this context, when I said "in-place", I would like to say : edit a
>>> module's sitemap and xslt directly on the web (on the lenya site) - and
>>> your ajax module can do that if I well understand...
>> When you put your sitemaps and XSLTs in the Lenya repository, you can
>> use e.g. the source editor to edit them. After all they are just XML
>> documents. You need a schema, though. But I agree that Bespin would
>> certainly be more comfortable than the editors we have now. The AJAX
>> editor I mentioned is rather suited for documents, since you can only
>> edit a single section (paragraph etc.) at a time.
>
> This editor sounds good ! What is the "dev status" of this editor :
> experimental, little buggy, usable ? It's possible to put it in the
> contribution branch ?

ATM it's experimental, but maybe I can add it to the contribution branch
(if I can isolate it from the rest of the code).

> I have a more global question about editors in lenya :
> Why editors open in a new page and not in the "site template" (editable
> area with the navigation tree, the top and bottom of the site,...) ? This
> is a development choice or an architectural constraint ?

Regarding the WYSIWYG editors, this is not our choice – it's is just how
those editors work. BTW, TinyMCE is embedded in the page, i.e. only the
content area is changed into a rich-text editor. I think for the source
editor it wouldn't make much sense to embed the editing area in the
page, and using an otherwise empty page allows a better performance.

-- Andreas

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
wrote:
> Florent André schrieb:
>> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:22:01 +0100, Andreas Hartmann
<an...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi André,

[...]
>> When I speak about sitemap and xslt editing, I think to bespin (this
mail
>> :

http://lenya.markmail.org/search/?q=bespin#query:bespin+page:1+mid:eaukjoacfewagi34+state:results)

>> In this context, when I said "in-place", I would like to say : edit a
>> module's sitemap and xslt directly on the web (on the lenya site) - and
>> your ajax module can do that if I well understand...
>
> When you put your sitemaps and XSLTs in the Lenya repository, you can
> use e.g. the source editor to edit them. After all they are just XML
> documents. You need a schema, though. But I agree that Bespin would
> certainly be more comfortable than the editors we have now. The AJAX
> editor I mentioned is rather suited for documents, since you can only
> edit a single section (paragraph etc.) at a time.

This editor sounds good ! What is the "dev status" of this editor :
experimental, little buggy, usable ? It's possible to put it in the
contribution branch ?

I have a more global question about editors in lenya :
Why editors open in a new page and not in the "site template" (editable
area with the navigation tree, the top and bottom of the site,...) ? This
is a development choice or an architectural constraint ?

Have a good day !

Re: In-place and code editing (Re: Firedocs integration code)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Florent André schrieb:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 11:22:01 +0100, Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>> Hi André,
>>
>> Florent André schrieb:
>>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:40:44 +0100,
>
>>> Just an idea :
>>> Can Firedocs be use to "in place edit" (= directly in the lenya UI)
>>> sitemap's and xslt ?
>> no, Firedocs is "launched" as a separate application in Firefox,
>> replacing the Lenya authoring page.
>
> Excuse me, I have a Firefox* mismatching and a two in one idea.
>
> When I speak about sitemap and xslt editing, I think to bespin (this mail :
> http://lenya.markmail.org/search/?q=bespin#query:bespin+page:1+mid:eaukjoacfewagi34+state:results)
>
> In this context, when I said "in-place", I would like to say : edit a
> module's sitemap and xslt directly on the web (on the lenya site) - and
> your ajax module can do that if I well understand...

When you put your sitemaps and XSLTs in the Lenya repository, you can
use e.g. the source editor to edit them. After all they are just XML
documents. You need a schema, though. But I agree that Bespin would
certainly be more comfortable than the editors we have now. The AJAX
editor I mentioned is rather suited for documents, since you can only
edit a single section (paragraph etc.) at a time.

>> But if you're interested in in-place editing, you might want to take a
>> look at this thread:
>>

> http://markmail.org/message/jengkte7mzei6z5o#query:lenya%20direct%20editing%20hartmann+page:1+mid:dakk4uyx5yuwwblq+state:results
>> If you want to join the development, I could try to find the code on my
>> harddisk – I haven't touched it for a while :)
>
> Yes, such an editor interest me... but I really don't have time now. But,
> be sure I will answer this code one day... So you can began the
> archaeological research ! :)

Alright, I'll do a quick search when I find the time.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH

In-place and code editing (Re: Firedocs integration code)

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
wrote:
> Hi André,
>
> Florent André schrieb:
>> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009 16:40:44 +0100,

>> Just an idea :
>> Can Firedocs be use to "in place edit" (= directly in the lenya UI)
>> sitemap's and xslt ?
>
> no, Firedocs is "launched" as a separate application in Firefox,
> replacing the Lenya authoring page.

Excuse me, I have a Firefox* mismatching and a two in one idea.

When I speak about sitemap and xslt editing, I think to bespin (this mail :
http://lenya.markmail.org/search/?q=bespin#query:bespin+page:1+mid:eaukjoacfewagi34+state:results)

In this context, when I said "in-place", I would like to say : edit a
module's sitemap and xslt directly on the web (on the lenya site) - and
your ajax module can do that if I well understand...

> But if you're interested in in-place editing, you might want to take a
> look at this thread:

http://markmail.org/message/jengkte7mzei6z5o#query:lenya%20direct%20editing%20hartmann+page:1+mid:dakk4uyx5yuwwblq+state:results

> If you want to join the development, I could try to find the code on my
> harddisk – I haven't touched it for a while :)

Yes, such an editor interest me... but I really don't have time now. But,
be sure I will answer this code one day... So you can began the
archaeological research ! :)

Thanks

Re: Firedocs integration code (was: Editor situation)

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Hi André,

Posted by Florent André <fl...@4sengines.com>.
wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>

>> So here's a big thank you to the Universitätsklinikum Freiburg for
>> donating the code!
>>
> Your welcome!
> The development (Lenya2 - Firedocs integration) was done by Andreas and
> Thomas.
> Thanks very much for your work.

I'm joining to the rudolf's great thanks.

I hope I have time to test it rapidly...

Just an idea :
Can Firedocs be use to "in place edit" (= directly in the lenya UI)
sitemap's and xslt ?

If yes, It can be a cool addon to the existing dev module I think.

A++

> Rudolf

Re: Firedocs integration code (was: Editor situation)

Posted by ru...@uniklinik-freiburg.de.
Hi Andreas,