Posted to user@openmeetings.apache.org by Tom Luo <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/05 18:57:14 UTC

The speed of OpenMeetings

Hi, all,

I just set up a server for long distance video conference.
The client can download files from the server at 2mbps. However, when the
client uses the network testing of the OM, the speed is only .02mbps. Any
one knows why?
When we tested face-to-face video talk, I can feel there is some delay.
Is that possible to tune up OM so that we can improve the speed of OM?
Moreover, compared with other open source tools, how does OM perform in
terms of speed?
Is there any other open source tool better than OM?

Thanks,

Tom

Re: The speed of OpenMeetings

Posted by Robert Cooley <Ro...@gmx.com>.
I currently live in Vietnam, I have also lived and worked from China for
US based companies.  I am American and love to travel!

The problem may well be on your end.  Some providers have bad
international peering.  It is that simple.  When doing mapping software
I had tons of issues accessing our source control system..  We went
round and round finally finding a provider that gave good connectivity
to all.  I stumbled upon the answer while downloading a movie!

Bittorrent for the win..  I use uTorrent, and while in china getting the
usual crap download speeds, I noticed one peer nearly maxing out my
connection.  uTorrent shows country flags by the peers, you see.  I saw
a USA flag and a GREAT connection, and copied the IP address.  Some work
with Whois and some dns digging, tracert showed the provider.  It was a
home connection, but I called them anyway.  They had another business
branch doing business/colo hosting.  Most home providers also do hosting
because they have unused upstream.  Always call and negotiate as they
must pay for it whether they use it or not. :)  Unfortunately these
agreements change, so there is no permanent solution.

Or maybe the problem is on their end.  Great Firewall of China, etc.
PCCW is the best gateway, you can get pricey (ie 3x-5x more than digital
ocean, or vultr) servers in Hong Kong with guaranteed bandwidth to the
middle kingdom.

And we have cable cuts, 4 for me in the last year.  mostly south of Hong
Kong.

Anyway, expect to pay..  If you want business level quality of service,
they will treat you like a bank or brokerage, etc.  No money, then take
what you can get!

Also, time of day matters.  Nights, weekends are slow and saturated.
Rainy saturdays and sundays are the worst.  1/2 speed at best.

Posted by Tom Luo <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi, Maxim,

Posted by Maxim Solodovnik <so...@gmail.com>.
Hello Tom,