Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by ro...@thefrowerts.com on 2007/04/01 02:31:10 UTC

Proper way to start spamd at boot

Hello,

Wanting to know the proper way to start spamd at boot time.  Currently I
copied the spamd perl script from /usr/sbin into the /etc/init.d/
directory and then used chkconfig to add it to start at run levels 3 and
5.  So basically the machine is just starting spamd with no options (i.e.
"./spamd")  Only problem is that doing it this way, for some reason, when
I reboot the machine I never get to a system prompt.  All I see is spamd
running and then spawing child forks when it is called (I setup everything
so that Postfix integrates with spamd).  My entire boot.msg file is filled
up with spamd junk...

So, what is the proper way to start spamd with init.d??  Is there a script
I need to use that presents proper options for spamd.  I was looking at
the man page and I noted the "-d" switch for daemonize.  Perhaps I need
that :-).

Thanks for your help!

Rodman

Re: Proper way to start spamd at boot

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
rodman@thefrowerts.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Wanting to know the proper way to start spamd at boot time.  Currently I
> copied the spamd perl script from /usr/sbin into the /etc/init.d/
> directory and then used chkconfig to add it to start at run levels 3 and
> 5.  So basically the machine is just starting spamd with no options (i.e.
> "./spamd")  Only problem is that doing it this way, for some reason, when
> I reboot the machine I never get to a system prompt.  All I see is spamd
> running and then spawing child forks when it is called (I setup everything
> so that Postfix integrates with spamd).  My entire boot.msg file is filled
> up with spamd junk...
>
> So, what is the proper way to start spamd with init.d??

There are numerous sample init scripts that come in the spamd
sub-directory of the tarball.

Pick one that suits your platform, check its options, and copy it to
/etc/init.d/spamd