Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> on 2016/12/19 11:00:55 UTC

Automatically aligning ObjectContexts when establishing a relationship

We've had a concept of "persistence by reachability" for a long time. When a relationship is established between 2 objects, if one of them is in an ObjectContext and another one is not, we'd automatically register the transient object using the context of the persistent objects.

Now consider a different case... If a relationship is established between 2 objects that are both registered, but in 2 different contexts, the current behavior is to throw an exception. I am trying to decide whether it is wise to resolve cross-context conflict quietly instead, replacing the target object with a copy local to the source ObjectContext by calling ObjectContext.localObject(..). This should remove a fair amount of boilerplate if you are using multiple contexts throughout the app as I do.

It doesn't come free though. The the code then becomes more obscure and error-prone. E.g.:

A a = ; // in c1
B b = ; // in c2

a.setB(b); 		// equivalent to a.setB(c1.localObject(b))
			// i.e. we are attaching a different copy of B now.

b.setProp("newValue"); 	// we may not realize that we are changing the wrong copy...
c1.commitChanges(); 	// "b" changes are not committed. oops...

I am leaning towards leaving things as they are, but maybe someone has better ideas on how to keep it both convenient and robust at the same time :)

Thanks,
Andrus

Re: Automatically aligning ObjectContexts when establishing a relationship

Posted by Michael Gentry <mg...@masslight.net>.
I think the current behavior should be kept, or at least the default.  I
can see some value in being able to do this, though:

c1.setAutomaticContextBridging(true);

Allow the developer to set it on a per-context basis when it simplifies
their code and is more explicit and localized.

mrg

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Sorry, was supposed to be dev@ :)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
(sending this back to user@)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Good idea.. Also a flavor that takes a collection arg.

Andrus

Posted by John Huss <jo...@gmail.com>.