Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org> on 2004/03/27 07:16:31 UTC

New Incubee

Peoples,

The XML Project has voted to accept NativeJCE for incubation.

As per Incubator Policy [1], I am hereby requesting the Incubator
project accept this project for incubation.  As per [1] :

- Vote is at [2]
- Proposal is at [3]
- Mentor will be myself

The plan at the moment is to name the new product "JuiCE".  A question
to the incubator group - we have researched this name on the web, and
could not find any other cryptographic software that had this name.
There are of products on sourceforge - a blog tool [4] and a frontend to
mpg123 [5] that are both named "juice", but I have to confess to not
being enough of an expert on these issues to know if this is a problem
or not.

Guideance appreciated.

Cheers,
	Berin

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Acceptance+of+Proposal+by+Sponsor%0A
[2]
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=general@xml.apache.org&msgNo=1046
[3]
http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?XMLProjectPages/OpenSSLJCEProposal
[4] http://sourceforge.net/projects/juice/
[5] http://sourceforge.net/projects/juicy/

Re: New Incubee

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
> The plan at the moment is to name the new product "JuiCE".  A question
> to the incubator group - we have researched this name on the web, and
> could not find any other cryptographic software that had this name.
> There are of products on sourceforge - a blog tool [4] and a frontend to
> mpg123 [5] that are both named "juice", but I have to confess to not
> being enough of an expert on these issues to know if this is a problem
> or not.

If anyone has any thoughts on this I'd be most grateful.  We don't want
to create lists and cvs/svn repository with a name we have to change
very quickly!

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: New Incubee

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: New Incubee

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
welcome!

Berin Lautenbach wrote:
> The plan at the moment is to name the new product "JuiCE".  A question
> to the incubator group - we have researched this name on the web, and
> could not find any other cryptographic software that had this name.
> There are of products on sourceforge - a blog tool [4] and a frontend to
> mpg123 [5] that are both named "juice", but I have to confess to not
> being enough of an expert on these issues to know if this is a problem
> or not.

I believe it is /extremely/ unlikely to be an issue legally (no
certainties in legal stuff, I'm afraid :-D), especially not if you refer
to it as "Apache JuiCE". Those projects may not be so happy with their
name being usurped though -- see the firebird/firefox flamewar as an
example.

> Guideance appreciated.

I'd say: get in touch with the developers of these projects, see what
they think. Common sense applies.

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons

RE: New Incubee

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> The plan at the moment is to name the new product "JuiCE".

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/juice/

> I have to confess to not being enough of an expert on these
> issues to know if this is a problem or not.

Who knows whether or not that project would succeed, but why conflict?  Not
as a legal issue, just as a practical one.  You don't have to play with just
J-C-E.  Windtalker comes to mind.  Or AJSL.  Or anything.  Who'd have
thought that SSL would be catchy?  ;-)

Regardless of the branding, will org.apache.security be the base package
name for classes that aren't under java(x).security.*?

	--- Noel

Re: New Incubee

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
+1 from me.