Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2009/10/21 10:36:15 UTC

[Karaf] Intended difference between karaf.home and karaf.base?

I'm in the process of installing a Karaf-based application on a Unix
server. I'd like to split the application+cfg (/opt/app) from the data
(/var/opt/app). For that I've set karaf.base to /var/opt/app in
etc/system.properties. That takes care of most parts, but a "data"
directory is still created under /opt/app (containing "cache" and "txlog").

So I wonder if my understanding is wrong about karaf.home
(application+cfg?) and karaf.base (data, temp files?) is wrong. I
haven't found anything about that in the documentation.

Please note I'm still running a Karaf 0.9 snapshot as I didn't manage to
make my application run under Karaf 1.0 in the time I had available.
I'll get back to that when I have more time.

Thanks,
Jeremias Maerki

Re: [Karaf] Intended difference between karaf.home and karaf.base?

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Thanks, Guillaume. Now I get it. I didn't make the connection to the
instance management because I don't use it. Your idea with karaf.data
sounds good. Things calm down here soon, so I should have some time to
help out (if you're not faster). Or at least I can help test.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
karaf.home refers to the main installation directory and karaf.base
refers to the directory for a given karaf instance.
They will usually be the same, unless you create a new instance using
the admin commands.
If you want to split things, you can to a certain degree, because the
etc, deploy and data folders are relative to the karaf.base dir.

I guess we could try to introduce another variable ${karaf.data} that
would be used throughout karaf to be able to easily move the data
directory to another location.   I've just raised a JIRA for this
enhancement: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FELIX-1785

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:36, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> I'm in the process of installing a Karaf-based application on a Unix
> server. I'd like to split the application+cfg (/opt/app) from the data
> (/var/opt/app). For that I've set karaf.base to /var/opt/app in
> etc/system.properties. That takes care of most parts, but a "data"
> directory is still created under /opt/app (containing "cache" and "txlog").
>
> So I wonder if my understanding is wrong about karaf.home
> (application+cfg?) and karaf.base (data, temp files?) is wrong. I
> haven't found anything about that in the documentation.
>
> Please note I'm still running a Karaf 0.9 snapshot as I didn't manage to
> make my application run under Karaf 1.0 in the time I had available.
> I'll get back to that when I have more time.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremias Maerki

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet