Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Benjamin Krueger <be...@seattlefenix.net> on 2003/02/12 23:57:49 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] internally re-routing one port to another

* Justin French (justin@indent.com.au) [030212 14:49]:
> Hey all,
>
> I've just realised my ADSL ISP blocks port 80.  Is there any way I can
> internally re-route port 80 to something like 8000, or any way I can skip
> around the issue, other than typing xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8000 or mydomain:8000
> into my browser?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Justin French

Because your ISP blocks all packets to port 80, your webserver will never
see them in order to be able to "reroute" them. You could use rewrite or
any number of other tools to do so, but it would be useless as your
webserver will never see the packets to redirect them. If you want to use
regular HTTP traffic, you will have to live with appending the port to
the hostname in your URLs.

You could pay for (or possibly hunt down a free version of) a provider on
the normal internet to do your 80 to 8000 redirection for you.

Good Luck,

--
Benjamin Krueger