Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by vikas <pv...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/04 16:51:51 UTC

Hoe to perform FILE IO with Hadoop DFS

Hi All,

can any one please help me with the technique of writing to the same file in
DFS of Hadoop.

I want to perform insertion, deletion and update on the file of my DFS.

 So how can I get the write access to the file already created. and what is
the best way to update a file.

Thank You,
-Vikas.

Re: Hoe to perform FILE IO with Hadoop DFS

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Vikas,

On May 4, 2008, at 7:51 AM, vikas wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> can any one please help me with the technique of writing to the
> same file in
> DFS of Hadoop.
>
> I want to perform insertion, deletion and update on the file of my
> DFS.

HDFS doesn't support file-updates, once written (i.e. after the file
is 'closed') the file is immutable.

Appends to a file are coming soon: http://issues.apache.org/jira/
browse/HADOOP-3149.

Arun