Posted to dev@avro.apache.org by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl> on 2022/11/12 09:51:18 UTC

IDL schema parsing for the 21st century

Hello everyone,

Some time ago (almost a year by now..., I started a thread on bringing the
IDL syntax into the 21st century:
https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@avro.apache.org/msg29216.html

A few months later, I had the first PR ready, which received some feedback.
Thank you Ryan Skraba, Martin Grigorov and Christophe Le Saëc!

This is now some time ago, and I've had the time to open the third PR in
the trilogy.

My request to all of you: can you please review them? The first two PRs
have seen some review, but the last one is new. Can we please get them
ready to be merged?

These are the PRs:
- AVRO-3403 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3403> / PR #1588
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1588>: Porting the JavaCC grammar to
ANTLR4
- AVRO-3404 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3404> / PR #1589
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1589>: Extending the IDL syntax to
support schemata directly
- AVRO-3666 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3666> / PR #1954
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1954>: Adds a SchemaParser that
transparently handles JSON, IDL, and custom formats

Looking forward to constructive criticism :)

Kind regards,
Oscar
Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>

Re: IDL schema parsing for the 21st century

Posted by Oscar Westra van Holthe - Kind <os...@westravanholthe.nl>.
Hi all,

To help reviewing, I've created a few 'shadow PRs' in my own repo (thank
you for the idea Martin):

<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1588> / shadow PR opwvhk#193
<https://github.com/opwvhk/avro/pull/193> (60 + many files): Porting the
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1589> / shadow PR opwvhk#196
<https://github.com/opwvhk/avro/pull/196> (20 files): Extending the IDL
syntax to support schemata directly
- AVRO-3666 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AVRO-3666> / PR #1954
<https://github.com/apache/avro/pull/1954> / shadow PR opwvhk#197
<https://github.com/opwvhk/avro/pull/197> (20 + many files): Adds a
SchemaParser that transparently handles JSON, IDL, and custom formats

In this, the 1st and 3rd PR's are still large. Their core changes are these:
- AVRO-3403: opwvhk#198 <https://github.com/opwvhk/avro/pull/198> (touches
60 of the 102 files in the full PR; mostly test files)
- AVRO-3666: opwvhk#199 <https://github.com/opwvhk/avro/pull/199> (touches
20 of the 143 in the full PR)

Kind regards,
Oscar