Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Eitan Suez <ei...@uptodata.com> on 2002/02/04 07:12:40 UTC

a tool for java api documentation

Hello,

  I would like to share with you the product of some
  work I have been doing on an online tool for java
  api documentation similar to javadoc, that i call
  dbdoc.

  dbdoc deviates from javadoc in several ways.
  the main difference is the persistence of documentation
  information into a database repository, which allows
  the storage of multiple api's in a single repository
  in an incremental fashion.

  the other deviation is the generation of documentation
  as html or dhtml pages by using a dynamic web application
  such as servlet/jsp.

  this url:
    http://www.uptodata.com:8080/dbdoc/

  is the location where i currently stage this project.

  if you have the time, i would be very interested in
  (and would very much appreciate) your thoughts
  and feedback on dbdoc.

Sincerely,
  Eitan Suez
  Programmer

Re: a tool for java api documentation

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/4/02 4:23 PM, "Eitan Suez" <ei...@uptodata.com> wrote:

> the dbdoc gui is jsp/template-based, which makes
> it much easier to maintain, revise, and/or enhance.

To bad you didn't use Velocity, then I would believe your claim.

:-)

Anyway, when are you going to make this cool tool available as open source?

:-)

I might even be interested in helping you convert it to Velocity.

:-)

-jon

Re: a tool for java api documentation

Posted by Eitan Suez <ei...@uptodata.com>.
The goal of dbdoc is the same as javadoc's:  to produce documentation
and make it accessible via a web browser.  Forcibly then there must exist
similarities between the two.  dbdoc actually uses javadoc at runtime to
generate the in-memory object model of java packages.  so i see it more as
an
evolution or customization of javadoc rather than a replacement of javadoc.

> I think that this is Javadoc with modifications.  The Javadoc license
doesn't
> allow one to release the modified source code.

I use the doclet mechanism to extract documentation information.
The doclet api provides a clear demarcation between the
javadoc code and the customizations.

One essential design difference between dbdoc and javadoc
is the fact that dbdoc uses a database.  this creates two
significant advantages in dbdoc:

  1. the ability to build api documentation incrementally, where a
   single repository is used for multiple api's and where the various
   api's are actually cross-referenced.

  2. content becomes searchable

i understand that these may not be significant differences to many
developers.  but have you ever wondered why the sun site does not
provide a single location to browse their javadocs?

the other major difference i do not mention is that if you view the
gui using ie 5.5 or 6.0, you will see a radically different implementation
of the gui.  this is another by-product of the design difference between
javadoc and dbdoc.  the dbdoc gui is jsp/template-based, which makes
it much easier to maintain, revise, and/or enhance.  i believe
that javadoc's html doclet suffers from the same problems of the servlet
days (before template mechanisms were introduced) where the html is
generated using inline println() statements.

/ eitan

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 08:20, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
> Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com> writes:
> > on 2/3/02 10:12 PM, "Eitan Suez" <ei...@uptodata.com> wrote:
> > > if you have the time, i would be very interested in
> > > (and would very much appreciate) your thoughts
> > > and feedback on dbdoc.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Eitan Suez
> > > Programmer
>
> <snip/>
>
> > Other than that, cool software...I don't see a link to download the
> > source code though...:-( Until you provide that link, it is useless to
> > advertise it here as it makes you look kind of funny...:-)
>
> I think that this is Javadoc with modifications.  The Javadoc license
> doesn't allow one to release the modified source code.

You may want to have a look at xdoclet at sourceforge. They are in the
process of rewriting a Doclet-like engine but better.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: a tool for java api documentation

Posted by "Kevin A. Burton" <bu...@openprivacy.org>.

Re: a tool for java api documentation

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2/3/02 10:12 PM, "Eitan Suez" <ei...@uptodata.com> wrote:

> if you have the time, i would be very interested in
> (and would very much appreciate) your thoughts
> and feedback on dbdoc.
>
> Sincerely,
> Eitan Suez
> Programmer

Common web app coding mistake...if you play with a URL, you should handle
strange cases better...

http://www.uptodata.com:8080/dbdoc/index.html?cmd=pkg.main&pkg_id=159

Plays into...