Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Yehezkiel B Syamsuhadi <yb...@indosat.net.id> on 2005/04/26 02:40:51 UTC

Tutorial Book on Turbine

Hi,

I am a newbie on Turbine world.
I want to buy a book about Turbine tutorial. Can anybody give me any
recomendation which book should I buy?

Regards,
Yehezkiel

Re: Tutorial Book on Turbine

Posted by Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz <le...@ibnetwork.com.br>.
I don't know any book about Turbine, but here are some directions.
Turbine was inspired (fixme) on a php framework to simplify web application development.
IMHO, Turbine is :
  - a servlet that defines a well known workflow to fulfill user requests
  - a bunch of services (componets if you wish) that provides solutions for security, cache, localization, rpc, etc and a component manager
  - a fat lady :-)

One of the Turbine features I like best is the ability to build the final markup from chuncks of code using a configured template system (velocity and jsp are supported). This leads to a very flexible and powerfull view architechture.

Today, Turbine uses a configurable pipeline to serve resquests, which is a big enhancement. Thanks to Eric Pugh !
I suggest you take a look at this document (http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/turbine/development/turbine-2.4/fsd.html) where the classic workflow (or pipeline) is described.
But to really master Turbine I suggest a painfull debug session from Turbine.doGet() method down to out.flush().

I started a project called esqueleto (skeleton) wich is a simple webapp using turbine , xingu (xingu.sf.net) components and some
velocity templates plus modules (actions and screens) that provide some common functionality.
I'm migrating it to use guara, a new web framework that integrates ideas from turbine, ajax, etc, while keeping a small set of dependencies and minimal size.

Let me know if you are interested ! Cheers !

FYI: guara is in a very early stage of development.

--
Leandro Rodrigo Saad Cruz
IT - Inter Business Tecnologia e