Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2001/04/16 16:13:06 UTC

JMX Facility for phoenix

I have just updated the proposal for phoenix. It now includes
a tool to create Dynamic MBeans for any class
(in the org.apache.jmx.introspector package) and a rudimentary
Manager facility which registers the basic components used by
Embeddor in the MBeanServer.

Early adopters might wish to examine the introspector package and
start building custom (Dynamic) MBeans for their avalon components.

The code to add Blocks/Facilities to the MBeanServer has yet
to be written; whether Blocks will be added will be controlled
by the following xml in the blockinfo file:

<blockinfo>
		/* ... */
		<manageable>true</manageable> /* register with the mBeanServer */
		/* alternate: provide custom MBean */
		/* <manageable mbean="org.apache.somewhere.blablaMBean">true</manageable>
*/
/* ... */
</blockinfo>

or something similar (suggestions welcome).

regards,

LSD

<java:sig>
	About LSD  = new PersonalInfo();
	LSD.name("Leo Simons");
	LSD.email("mail@leosimons.com");
	LSD.URL( [
		http://www.leosimons.com, // personal website
		http://www.atfantasy.com, // fantasy RPG portal
		http://www.the-sign.nl    // web-design company
	] );
	LSD.quote("Buh!");
	email.setSig((String)LSD);
</java:sig>

Re: JMX Facility for phoenix

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 04:13  16/4/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>I have just updated the proposal for phoenix. It now includes
>a tool to create Dynamic MBeans for any class
>(in the org.apache.jmx.introspector package) and a rudimentary
>Manager facility which registers the basic components used by
>Embeddor in the MBeanServer.
>
>Early adopters might wish to examine the introspector package and
>start building custom (Dynamic) MBeans for their avalon components.

Excellent ... downloading now ;)

Cheers,

Pete

RE: JMX Facility for phoenix

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.
Leo:

First suggestion is to not to make a decision on manageability based on the
value of a <manageable> element content, but instead, if there is a
manageable element and it contains whatever information is needed, then its
manageable.

E.g. the following means that a block is manageable.

	<managable/>

Cheers, Steve.