Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Gang Luo <lg...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2010/08/29 18:44:04 UTC

cluster write permission

HI all,
I am setting a hadoop cluster where I have to specify the local directory for
temp files/logs, etc. Should I allow everybody have the write permission to
these directories? Who actually does the write operation?

Thanks,
-Gang

Re: cluster write permission

Posted by Hemanth Yamijala <yh...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Gang Luo <lg...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> HI all,
> I am setting a hadoop cluster where I have to specify the local directory for
> temp files/logs, etc. Should I allow everybody have the write permission to
> these directories? Who actually does the write operation?

The temp and log files are written by the daemons and the child tasks
that run the mappers and reducers (assuming you don't have any of the
security work Yahoo! has done). So, setting write permissions to the
process owner alone should be sufficient.

Thanks
Hemanth