Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by wagonmaster <ni...@sas.com> on 2016/01/30 13:32:35 UTC

ActiveMQ Security Support Policy

I would like to request an official statement from the activemq developers on
what is the support policy for active mq versions, especially with respect
to providing security fixes and also backwards compatibility.

1. How many major versions of ActiveMQ are supported? (E.G. Currently
5.11.x, 5.12.x and 5.13.x)

2. How long is each version of ActiveMQ supported (1 year, 2 year, etc?)

3. What is the expectation for backwards and forwards compatibility between
different versions of AciveMQ? Does activemq 5.4 work with activemq 5.13?

Re: ActiveMQ Security Support Policy

Posted by Tim Bain <tb...@alumni.duke.edu>.
I think Clebert covered the fact that no one's going to give you an
official statement of guaranteed support; if you want that, contact one of
the vendors who offer that and get a quote.  But since we're an open-source
project with a publicly visible issue tracking system, if there's an issue
you really want fixed in your version that's only been fixed in a later
one, you're always able to patch it yourself and recompile your custom
patch version and use that.  And if you're having trouble working out some
incompatibility between the patch and the version you want to apply it to,
you'll get some help from the dev mailing list (or the users mailing list,
though I think your odds are better on dev).

But be forewarned that troubleshooting bugs in 6-year-old versions isn't
something most people are going to spend their time on, so you shouldn't
plan to lock into a version and then never upgrade it and expect a lot of
support from the community.  You should probably be running versions that
are no more than ~2-3 years old, and should plan to upgrade periodically to
stay in that rough window, otherwise you may get less (free) support from
the community and you might want to rely on paid support from vendors.

What Chris said about backwards compatibility of OpenWire is correct, but
the best way to describe the approach to compatibility overall is that we
attempt to make all versions backwards compatible, but as far as I know
there isn't any formal effort to test that compatibility so we don't claim
that it will work, just that we think it should.  And in the year and a
half of monitoring this list, I don't believe I've seen any posts
indicating any backwards incompatibilities in client-to-broker
connections.  So your mileage may vary, but there are few to no reports of
poor mileage.  Note, however, that there are sometimes incompatibilities
when upgrading the broker itself, such as the fact that the persistent
message store reads and writes only one version of OpenWire so the broker
may be unable to read messages from the persistent store if the OpenWire
version was different between the two versions.

Tim

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.