Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by cm...@yahoo.com on 2001/02/27 17:38:49 UTC

Proposal: util.log change

Hi,

I know I haven't finished any of the proposals I made last week, and I add
a new proposal.

I would like to do a small change in ....util.log.Log and the util.log
package:

1. Split the package in 2 - the util.log will have only one class, the
Log.java, everything else will move to util.simpleLog ( or queueLog ? )

2. Change Log - make it abstract, add a static setLog(Log) that will
add a base implementation ( or something similar - registerLog, etc ).
( that means it'll have no deps on the rest of the logging package )

3. At startup ( or in the Logger interceptor ) wire the simpleLog with
Log.java.

The effect of those changes will be that all tomcat will depend on
a single Log.java class, with no further dependencies - and that
means we can plug any other logger, using a simple adapter ( that
extends Log on one side and uses the other logger on the other side).

Of course, the current logger will continue to be the default
( since it's small, fast and well tested ).

What do you think ?

Costin