Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/12 22:33:52 UTC

board report?

I've been having some mail client issues. I don't see a reminder to SIS for a November report. However, we are scheduled to report in November. We're a bit late, but still have time to get a report in, I think. Any volunteers?

It's been kind of quiet the last few months. This may be a good time to evaluate where we see the community going. There's no big rush on this. But board reports are good reminders to think about these things…

--kevan

Re: board report?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
OK, board report added:

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/November2011

Please have a look and update/contribute as you see fit. I've already signed off
on it too.

Cheers,
Chris

On Nov 12, 2011, at 1:33 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> I've been having some mail client issues. I don't see a reminder to SIS for a November report. However, we are scheduled to report in November. We're a bit late, but still have time to get a report in, I think. Any volunteers?
>
> It's been kind of quiet the last few months. This may be a good time to evaluate where we see the community going. There's no big rush on this. But board reports are good reminders to think about these things…
>
> --kevan

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov
WWW:   http://sunset.usc.edu/~mattmann/

Re: board report?

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Nov 12, 2011, at 5:29 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hey Kevan,
>
> Totally agree.
>
> My thoughts are, as I have time to develop out spatial code, I want it to go into SIS. I've talked with many people about this,
> and I think there is a general consensus from the broader community that an ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit is something
> folks would want. It's just that a lot of the geospatial experts out there I think are looking to develop their custom solutions
> and to then leverage them to make money. An ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit would probably do a lot to combat that, so
> maybe that's why we don't see a lot of folks lending a hand, I dunno.
>
> Anyways I did a few commits in the past 3 months and did close out an issue or 2, so I'll include that in the board report
> and I'll whip it up today. I don't want this community to die, so I'll try my best to keep it going, and to get more people
> interested in it, and to attract new contributors. I'm kind of doing that right now with some folks that we are working
> on geospatial stuff with, so I hope it pans out. In the meanwhile, it's not costing us much other than board reports
> to keep the project going at the moment, so I think it's pretty low overhead and worth it to keep trying.

Sounds good. Thanks!

Agreed that an ALv2 licensed toolkit would be great to have. Afraid I just don't have the cycles to work on it, though…

> BTW, great to meet you in person at ApacheCon! :-)

Yes. Was good to finally meet you. Next time we'll have to grab a beer (or two…).

--kevan

Re: board report?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Luc,

On Nov 13, 2011, at 1:39 AM, Luc Maisonobe wrote:

> Le 12/11/2011 23:29, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) a écrit :
>> Hey Kevan,
>
> Hi Chris,
>

>> Totally agree.
>>
>> My thoughts are, as I have time to develop out spatial code, I want it to go into SIS. I've talked with many people about this,
>> and I think there is a general consensus from the broader community that an ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit is something
>> folks would want. It's just that a lot of the geospatial experts out there I think are looking to develop their custom solutions
>> and to then leverage them to make money. An ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit would probably do a lot to combat that, so
>> maybe that's why we don't see a lot of folks lending a hand, I dunno.
>
> When you speak about spatial toolkit, what do you have exatly in mind ?
> As you know, I lead the Orekit team, which provides space dynamics and
> geometry and is Apache licensed.

I'm thinking these types of things:

  SIS-28 Create a Layer Service for Google Earth Integration
  SIS-13 Change QuadTree Reader/Writer to use URLs instead of String file paths
  SIS-11 Basic CLI for SIS
  SIS-10 Ability to create SIS data from WKT specs
  SIS-9 Allow for multiple spatial reference systems
  SIS-8 Build a common SIS data container for spatial data

Those are the things I want to work on for 0.2.

Looking more broadly, I see SIS as an intermediate layer between a data
system framework like OODT, and the end-user who is a GIS guy or a remote
sensing guy (or gal, respectively ;) ).  SIS would provide the "secret sauce" that
helps to integrate Tika bringing in all sorts of spatial formats (through the Tika
GDAL parser that I am working on in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-605),
transform them to WKT, transform the input data through multiple spatial reference
and spatial coordinate systems. I want data coming out of OODT and Tika to
come into SIS and to be searchable, transformable, and representable using
Spatial Java code, REST services (provided via Apache CXF and JAX-RS),
and so on and so forth. I also see SIS as a clearinghouse for geometric functions
such as point/radius and bounding box/polygon search, as well as distance functions,
geometric sorting, and so forth. In this fashion, provided with such an ability, SIS
could become a go-to library for systems like e.g., PostGIS, HBase, OODT, Hadoop,
etc., to start to plug in spatial services.

Orekit sounds like a very interesting project. I think it would provide capabilities
that we could leverage in Tika, in OODT, and yes, within SIS.

> If there are some parts that you could use and would make sense to be in
> Orekit, just let us know (or yet better, join our community and contribute).

:-) I will see how much time I have since I haven't had as much time for
SIS as I'd wanted to either. Do you think that the Orekit community would
be interested in coming to Apache? If so, would you guys be interested in
being a part of SIS? I mean no disrespect at all, I'm sure you guys have a larger
community than us, and are farther along in certain areas, but considering
the plans for SIS I've outlined above, would being at Apache being something
you guys were amenable to?

I ask because I'm really only interested in building out a spatial toolkit at Apache.
I've seen tons of efforts that exist and do a great job already, but they exist outside
the Apache community. I commend you guys for selecting the ALv2 license. I just
want that (and more! :-)). I want it to exist at Apache too, within the foundation.

> I think the dynamics parts (orbit propagation, Jacobians, discrete and
> continuous evolution, time scales ...) are not of any use for you, but
> some more specific parts like ground point visibility, sensors fields of
> view, geometry of an observation could be used by SIS for remote sensing
> modelization.

+1, agreed.

To contribute to our community, basically all you need is:

1. Java6
2. Maven2
3. something to work on ;) code, documentation, thoughts, issue cleanup, whatever. We're
happy to have anyone contribute and very thankful.

Thanks again for listening.

Cheers,
Chris

Re: board report?

Posted by Luc Maisonobe <Lu...@free.fr>.
Le 12/11/2011 23:29, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) a écrit :
> Hey Kevan,

Hi Chris,

> Totally agree.
>
> My thoughts are, as I have time to develop out spatial code, I want it to go into SIS. I've talked with many people about this,
> and I think there is a general consensus from the broader community that an ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit is something
> folks would want. It's just that a lot of the geospatial experts out there I think are looking to develop their custom solutions
> and to then leverage them to make money. An ALv2 licensed spatial toolkit would probably do a lot to combat that, so
> maybe that's why we don't see a lot of folks lending a hand, I dunno.

When you speak about spatial toolkit, what do you have exatly in mind ?
As you know, I lead the Orekit team, which provides space dynamics and
geometry and is Apache licensed.

If there are some parts that you could use and would make sense to be in
Orekit, just let us know (or yet better, join our community and contribute).

I think the dynamics parts (orbit propagation, Jacobians, discrete and
continuous evolution, time scales ...) are not of any use for you, but
some more specific parts like ground point visibility, sensors fields of
view, geometry of an observation could be used by SIS for remote sensing
modelization.

Luc

Re: board report?

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.