Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Spreitzer <ms...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/06/25 19:39:35 UTC

Why are my HTTP resources treated differently than my HTTPS ones?

I have Tomcat 3.2.2 in standalone mode serving both HTTP and HTTPS.  I
have GIFs that appear on both the HTTP and the HTTPS pages.  I am viewing
my site with both Netscape 4.75 and IE 5.0 on Win 2K.  Where the GIFs
appear on HTTP pages, their create date, modification date, and file size
are recorded in the browser's cache.  Where the same GIFs appear on HTTPS
pages (the GIFs themselves are, in this case, fetched from HTTPS URLs),
none of those things is recorded in the browser's cache.  Netscape's cache
setting is "Document in cache is compared to document on network: Every
time", and IE's cache setting is "Check for newer versions of stored
pages: Automatically".  Changing IE's cache setting to "Every time you
start Internet Explorer" and flushing its cache makes no difference.  When
I change IE's cache setting to "Every visit to the page", and flush its
cache, then IE starts remembering the HTTPS GIFs' create date,
modification date, and file size.  For Netscape, changing the cache
setting to "Document in cache is compared to document on network: Once per
session" (and flushing the cache) causes the browser's cache to start
remembering the create date, modification date, and file size (among other
things) for the GIFs at HTTPS URLs.

What causes this differential treatment of HTTP vs. HTTPS resources for
some browser settings?  Are there Tomcat configuration options that affect
this?

Thanks,
Mike