Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Rui Hu <tc...@gmail.com> on 2011/12/20 07:46:09 UTC

questions about rewrite module

hi,

I encountered a problem while configured virtual host. My experiment
environment is Apache2+fastcgi+php-cgi.

I want to implement mass virtual hosting using rewrite rules based on
apache rewrite module. That is, for a request url like:
http://1000.xyz.com/test.php, apache will translate it to a absolute file
path like: $DOCUMENT_ROOT/1000/test.php, and then get this script to
execute.

And my conf is:
*        RewriteEngine On*
*        RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^www.xyz.com"*
*        RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "^([^.]+)\.xyz\.com" [NC]*
*        RewriteRule "(.*)" "/%1$1" [PT]*
I use inner redirection in order not to expose this detail to users.
Besides, I succeeded when I use external redirection, namely the [R] tag
instead of [PT] tag.
When I use [PT] tag, apache cannot run expectedly. I request a url :
http://1000.xyz.com/test.php, error message pops out like: The requested
URL /1000/cgi-bin/php.fcgi/1000/test.php was not found on this server.

I don't know if this error results from fastcgi, is it the inappropriate
config in fastcgi or inevitable problem by using it?

Really appreciate your help.

Vic

--
Best regards,

Rui Hu
State Key Laboratory of Networking & Switching Technology
Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications(BUPT)
MSN: tchrbupt@gmail.com

Re: questions about rewrite module

Posted by Rui Hu <tc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your response. Actually I considered mod_vhost_alias and it
worked well.

I just wanted to try some different ways, and wondered why mod_rewrite
cannot work well with fastcgi. I assume that mod_rewrite is more flexible
in url redirecting than mod_vhost_alias, and I can implement some url
redirecting of more complexity based on this module. That's why I eager to
solve this problem :-).

Posted by Igor Galić <i....@brainsware.org>.

Questions about how to *use* mod_rewrite -- or any module -- are
best asked on users@

> I encountered a problem while configured virtual host. My experiment
> environment is Apache2+fastcgi+php-cgi.
>

> I want to implement mass virtual hosting using rewrite rules based on
> apache rewrite module. That is, for a request url like:
> http://1000.xyz.com/test.php , apache will translate it to a
> absolute file path like: $DOCUMENT_ROOT/1000/test.php, and then get
> this script to execute.

Have you considered using something like mod_vhost_alias?

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/current/mod/mod_vhost_alias.html
  http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/VirtualHostAlias

> And my conf is:
>
> RewriteEngine On
> RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "!^ www.xyz.com "
> RewriteCond "%{HTTP_HOST}" "^([^.]+)\.xyz\.com" [NC]
> RewriteRule "(.*)" "/%1$1" [PT]
>
> I use inner redirection in order not to expose this detail to users.
> Besides, I succeeded when I use external redirection, namely the [R]
> tag instead of [PT] tag.
> When I use [PT] tag, apache cannot run expectedly. I request a url :
> http://1000.xyz.com/test.php , error message pops out like: The
> requested URL /1000/cgi-bin/php.fcgi/1000/test.php was not found on
> this server.
>

> I don't know if this error results from fastcgi, is it the
> inappropriate config in fastcgi or inevitable problem by using it?
>

> Really appreciate your help.
>

> Vic
>
> --
> Best regards,
>
> Rui Hu
> State Key Laboratory of Networking & Switching Technology
> Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications(BUPT)
> MSN: tchrbupt@gmail.com

Igor Galić

Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic@brainsware.org