Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Gilson Nascimento D Elrei <gi...@cpm.com.br> on 2002/05/15 15:47:18 UTC

Newbie: Error trying to convert (standalone) the simple.fo exampl e after first installation...

Hello all,
I have donwloaded and installed FOP, i tried to convert the simple.fo file
using it like my first interaction with this tool, but i'm receiving this
follow message error:

 [ERROR]: Don't know what to do with

I have entered this lines on DOS Prompt of root FOP directory:

> FOP simple.fo simple.pdf

i tried another command...

> FOP -fo simple.fo -pdf simple.pdf

but i didn't get success...

I'm executing on Win98, in standalone mode (DOS command line).

Thanks for any help..

Gilson

Re: Newbie: Error trying to convert (standalone) the simple.fo exampl e after first installation...

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Gilson Nascimento D Elrei wrote:
> I have donwloaded and installed FOP, i tried to convert the simple.fo file
> using it like my first interaction with this tool, but i'm receiving this
> follow message error:
>
>  [ERROR]: Don't know what to do with

This is a known problem caused either by the DOS command processor
or the JVM. It is specific to the 16bit Windows variants.
Nobody has yet published a workaround, you'll have to experiment
a bit by yourself. You can, for example, try
  java -jar bin\fop.jar nnn.fo nnn.pdf
which might work (or not).
If all else fails, get the source distribution, open
the file src\org\apache\fop\apps\CommandLineOptions.java,
kill the line throwing the exception wih the error
message above and rebuild FOP.

J.Pietschmann

RE: Newbie: Error trying to convert (standalone) the simple.fo example after first installation...

Posted by Roland Neilands <rn...@pulsemining.com.au>.
I did not find this part of the installation particularly userfriendly
either.

Try this fop.bat instead: sets CLASSPATH environment variable correctly &
can be run anywhere. (change the directory to your fop install first):

Failing this:
use -d option for debug mode
try docs\examples\runtests.bat

Regards,