Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by troy giunipero <Tr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/11/10 21:21:55 UTC

getting ssl to work

Hi,

I've run into a quirky problem which I don't think I'll find the
solution for in the formal documentation:

I've followed basic instructions for configuring ssl on the Tomcat
container (as specified on
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssl-howto.html).

That is, I've

    * created a self-signed certificate 'localhost' by typing

      %JAVA_HOME%\bin\keytool -genkey -alias tomcat -keyalg RSA

    * I've uncommented the Connector entry in the configuration file
      (server.xml)

Furthermore, because I'm using bundled Tomcat in NetBeans 5.5.1, I
pasted the Connector entry into server.xml in |$CATALINA_BASE.

|Now, when I run |https:localhost:8443/|  I don't see the Tomcat splash
screen.  That doesn't really matter, but it might be indicative to the
problem I'm having:

When my webapp returns an ssl page to the browser, ssl seems to work:  I
click through a dialog warning about a 'localhost' certificate, and I'm
forwarded to the correct page with url bar yellow and lock icon displayed.

However, the page returns without any STYLE or IMAGES.  That is, it's
not reading anything from the linked-to .css file nor is it displaying
the images (note:  this works fine when not using ssl).

Could ssl be blocking all files other than the singe requested one?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Any advice would be grately appreciated!

-troy