Posted to user@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2004/12/02 02:28:35 UTC

Re: Forrest for documentation generation (Was: commercial Forrest skins?)

Copy over to dev, because we have to extend this idea. ;-)

Nicola Ken Barozzi escribió:

> "Apache Forrest is a content presentation framework that is able to
> render complete and consistent websites, documents and reports by
> keeping the content separate from the style.
>
> Underneath it leverages Apache Cocoon's ability to operate on xml data
> that can come from diverse sources, like documentation, news, data, etc...
> "

+1

> IOW
>
> Forrest renders content:
>   - consistently
>   - without mixing it with style
>   - with multiple output formats
>   - with added-value presentations
     - with SOC in mind, allowing multiple workforces to concentrate on
they special function.
     - providing tools to create and present content
     - not caring about the source (xml, html, OpenOffice, DB, ...)
     - ...

> Forrest is:
>   - extensible   (plugins)
>   - customizable (with property files)
>   - embeddable   (in Ant and Maven buildfiles)
     - based on standards (W3C, Forrest, ...)
     - ...

Forrest is not:
- providing tools to manage content. This can be done by e.g. lenya cms.
- limited to a certain use case
- ...

--
thorsten