Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Christophe Bisciglia <ch...@cloudera.com> on 2009/02/10 02:52:32 UTC

Hadoop Workshop for College Teaching Faculty

Hey Hadoop Fans, I wanted to call your attention to an event we're
putting on next month that would be great for your academic contacts.
Please take a moment and forward this to any faculty you think might
be interested.

http://www.cloudera.com/sigcse-2009-disc-workshop

One of the big challenges to Hadoop adoption is that it requires
thinking about data and computation in new ways. One of the best
things we can do as a community, long term, is help educators prepare
their students to work with big data using Hadoop. This is a chance to
help faculty impart skills that will continue to drive Hadoop adoption
for years to come.

Once a year, Computer Science educators from around the world gather
at the ACM's Special Interest Group for Computer Science Education:
SIGCSE

This year, Cloudera, is hosting a day long workshop at SIGCSE to
introduce faculty to the MapReduce programming model, demonstrate how
to integrate material into various types of courses, and go over some
great sample projects for Hadoop. We'll also go over technical
logistics around spinning up clusters on EC2 and getting free credits
from Amazon for classroom use. A lot of this material is based on past
work we have done with the National Science Foundation.

That link again: http://www.cloudera.com/sigcse-2009-disc-workshop

There is no charge for this event, and we'd love to see all your
favorite computer science teachers there.

Cheers,
Christophe