Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org> on 2003/03/11 11:13:01 UTC

Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Did some of you ever think that Tomcat could became a
direct Apache subproject, like ant ?

It seems Maven follow the same way.

As such having Tomcat as a direct Apache projects will
allow a Tomcat PMC ?

Costin, Remy, other commiters, what do you think ?

Re: Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Henri Gomez wrote:

> I wanted to get opinions since being a Top Project seems to be
> in 'the air du temp' (ant/maven...)

Maven situation is a bit complicated :-)
Ant is in a different space, and they voted to move out ( well, we voted...
- I was -1 initially but on minority ). I still think we did it for the
wrong reasons - but it's working pretty well.

If struts, taglibs, slide, etc  decide to form their own PMCs - then
probably we should consider doing the same. But I think it'll be much
better if we move in the oposite direction - and try to get closer togheter
with the other jakarta projects.

Having a single Jakarta PMC that includes most active committes in jakarta
is a good thing IMO - and having more cross-project involvment could greatly
improve the overal consistency and quality.

Sourceforge model ( many independent projects with smaller communities )
does work fine, but I think a jakarta-commons model with bigger communities
is better ( at least for us ).

Costin

Re: Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Costin Manolache wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>

>>Did some of you ever think that Tomcat could became a
>>direct Apache subproject, like ant ?
>>
>>It seems Maven follow the same way.
>>
>>As such having Tomcat as a direct Apache projects will
>>allow a Tomcat PMC ?
>>
>>Costin, Remy, other commiters, what do you think ?
>

> I'm personally -1 ( quite strongly ), but if the majority believes
> otherwise I can change my vote to -0.
>
> I think jakarta is a good home for tomcat, and it's getting better.
> Most projects that are still in jakarta are 'close' enough to tomcat -
> taglibs, struts, commons, slide, velocity/turbine, log4j, etc - we
> do have a lot of things in common and I think we would benefit far
> more from staying close to those projects and sharing the same community.
>
> My understanding is that Jakarta will move into this direction - to
> become a single community, with most committers in the jakarta PMC. It'll
> mean that struts or taglib committers  will be able to vote or even commit
> code to tomcat. ( key committers from all other projects already do ).
> I think this is great, and I hope that one day we'll have one "jakarta"
> release with all the technology that remains part of jakarta. Beeing in
> the same community can only increase the quality of the code and
> the cross-polination.
>
> Of course - this is majority vote, and I have only one vote.
>
> Regarding PMC - there are already quite a few tomcat committers in
> jakarta PMC, and the intention is to get everyone who is active.
> Last round included release managers from all jakarta projects -
> but the process just started.
>
> BTW - we can leave at any time, I think it may be worth it to
> see how this "big community" works out.

I agree with you jakarta community is larger and better to keep in
touch with it.

I wanted to get opinions since being a Top Project seems to be
in 'the air du temp' (ant/maven...)

Regards

Re: Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Henri Gomez <hg...@apache.org>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:
> Henri Gomez wrote:
>
>> Did some of you ever think that Tomcat could became a
>> direct Apache subproject, like ant ?
>>
>> It seems Maven follow the same way.
>>
>> As such having Tomcat as a direct Apache projects will
>> allow a Tomcat PMC ?
>>
>> Costin, Remy, other commiters, what do you think ?
>

> -1 from me, for marketting reasons.
>
> The idea is that Tomcat is by far the most successful Apache project
> right now in terms of downloads. So that means it brings a lot of people
> to the website, and people have to look (whether they like it or not) at
> the other projects which are there at Jakarta. If all the big Jakarta
> projects leave, I think it would be much more difficult for new projects
> to get attention.

Costin and you convinced me ;)

Re: Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Did some of you ever think that Tomcat could became a
> direct Apache subproject, like ant ?
>
> It seems Maven follow the same way.
>
> As such having Tomcat as a direct Apache projects will
> allow a Tomcat PMC ?
>
> Costin, Remy, other commiters, what do you think ?

-1 from me, for marketting reasons.

The idea is that Tomcat is by far the most successful Apache project
right now in terms of downloads. So that means it brings a lot of people
to the website, and people have to look (whether they like it or not) at
the other projects which are there at Jakarta. If all the big Jakarta
projects leave, I think it would be much more difficult for new projects
to get attention.

Remy

Re: Tomcat as it's own apache subproject ?

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
Henri Gomez wrote:
> Did some of you ever think that Tomcat could became a
> direct Apache subproject, like ant ?
>
> It seems Maven follow the same way.
>
> As such having Tomcat as a direct Apache projects will
> allow a Tomcat PMC ?
>
> Costin, Remy, other commiters, what do you think ?

That is a tempting idea.  I thought about this some when I saw other
projects getting bumped up to a top level project with their own PMC.

Currently I don't see what moving Tomcat to its own top level project
would gain for us, except perhaps more overhead.  I have no problems
at this time being under the umbrella of the Jakarta PMC.

And as others have mentioned, Tomcat is the cornerstone project used
for launching the Jakarta project.

Regards,

Glenn