Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu <bo...@cimpeanu.org> on 2020/03/16 23:34:21 UTC

Azure AADDS "duplicate" users random string

Hello all,
In our Azure AADDS, which from Guacamole’s point of view is just a simple LDAP, we have situations where a user would appear as duplicate, depending on its sign in domain.
For example we might have firstname.lastname@domain1.com <ma...@domain1.com> and firstname.lastname@ad.local <ma...@ad.local> .

In this situation in Guacamole we see two users, one of them having what appears to be a random string attached, like firstname.lastn (FD5FDBAD) (yes there’s also some trimming involved too, I’d assume so that it would fit the 20 chars limit for ldap?).

Can you please explain how’s this random string being generated?

Thanks,
Bogdan

Re: Azure AADDS "duplicate" users random string

Posted by Mike Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Mar 18, 2020, 13:27 Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu <bo...@cimpeanu.org>
wrote:

> Hi Nick,
> That would be ok in a greed field deployment, but unfortunately this is
> not the case.
>
> We don’t have an actual issue with this setup, we only limit guacamole
> login to a specific domain anyway, however it’s blocking from being able to
> automate connection and user permissions in guacamole.
> It’s why I was hoping there’s a predictable way these strings are
> generated.

I don't believe these strings are generated, at least not by Guacamole.
Nothing within Guacamole appends a random string to usernames. When using
LDAP, usernames are simply queried directly from LDAP.

- Mike

Re: Azure AADDS "duplicate" users random string

Posted by Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu <bo...@cimpeanu.org>.
Hi Nick,
That would be ok in a greed field deployment, but unfortunately this is not the case.

We don’t have an actual issue with this setup, we only limit guacamole login to a specific domain anyway, however it’s blocking from being able to automate connection and user permissions in guacamole.
It’s why I was hoping there’s a predictable way these strings are generated.

Regards,
Bogdan

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.