Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Bernd Waibel <BW...@intarsys.de> on 2016/02/23 09:22:13 UTC

AW: Hi I need help for apache james! [unsigned]

Hello Benjamin,

I am firm with James 2.3.2, but not using James 3 now. I am just starting.
We use 2.3.2 in production, so switching is a big step which is just a work in progress.

We are still on an older version of James 3, not using sieve, so could not tell something about.
Also, we do not use HUPA, so dito.

1.
The usual way to access the mailboxes of an mailserver is to use an email client, and set up IMAP connection to that james server.
You could set up POP3 to, but I prefer IMAP.
So there is no "logging in" to the windows server.

2.
Logging in as a root user means, you log in to your windows machine, as an "Administrator" (or someone in the administration group).
In James 2.3.2, you "logged in" to james by "telnet" to a James admin prozess.
This is not the way in James 3. Here you start a java programm via windows command line.
So just open a windows command line, change to your installation directory, and enter
"java org.apache.james.cli.ServerCmd --host localhost listusers"
See https://james.apache.org/server/3/quick-start.html Step No. 8.

3.
Do not know HUPA.

Over all, you could download and install the "beta4" and work with this release.
If you would like to, you could use the latest source version, you could do this in eclipse and connecting to the source.
As of Februar 2016, all sources have moved to "git", so this is an option. See:
http://james.apache.org/newsarchive.html#a20160208

My documentation about Eclipse, Maven, and SVN is outdated. Need to be updated, yes, of course.
For building from source try this:
https://james.apache.org/server/3/dev-build.html

Best regards
Bernd