Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Travis Paul <Tr...@visPaul.me> on 2011/07/31 19:02:38 UTC

Does remote replication require the database to exist on target?

Running CouchDB version 1.2.0a-1142703 on a local and remote machine using
Futon.

I tried replicating a local database to a remote CouchDB instance that did
not yet have a copy of the database and I was getting an error using:

target:  http://admin:somepassword@www.mydomain.com:5984/somedatabase

"Replication failed: could not open http://admin:******@
www.mydomain.com:5984/somedatabase"

I also tried omitting the target database name and got a different error:

Replication failed: [{couch_replicator,fold_replication_logs,6},
 {couch_replicator,init_state,1},
 {couch_replicator,do_init,1},
 {couch_replicator,init,1},
 {gen_server,init_it,6},
 {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3}]

I could not get the database to replicate until I first logged into the
target and created a database with the same name, then replication worked.

Is this normal behavior? I didn't see anything in the online book or wiki
about having to first create the database on the target. Did I do something
wrong?

Thanks

Re: Does remote replication require the database to exist on target?

Posted by Robert Newson <rn...@apache.org>.
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Replication

"The target database has to exist and is not implicitly created. Add
create_target:true to the JSON object to create the target database
(remote or local) prior to replication. "

B.