Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Jon August <jo...@internection.com> on 2006/12/13 16:29:18 UTC

MapBuilder failed trying to instantiate

Hello,

I'm working on a new project using MySQL.  When I start up Tomcat
5.0, I get the errors below.  when I try to do an insert, I get this:

org.apache.torque.TorqueException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.internection.washpress.torque.map.ItemMapBuilder

I have a feeling it's a problem with the jar files I'm using, but I
don't know where to start.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
      -Jon

SEVERE: BasePeer.MapBuilder failed trying to instantiate:
com.internection.washpress.torque.map.ItemMapBuilder
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
com.internection.washpress.torque.map.ItemMapBuilder
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
(WebappClassLoader.java:1340)
	at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass
(WebappClassLoader.java:1189)
	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:302)
	at org.apache.torque.util.BasePeer.getMapBuilder(BasePeer.java:1355)
	at com.internection.washpress.torque.BaseItemPeer.getMapBuilder
(BaseItemPeer.java:59)
	at com.internection.washpress.torque.BaseItem.save(BaseItem.java:459)
	at org.apache.jsp.addExecute_jsp._jspService(addExecute_jsp.java:69)
	at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service
(JspServletWrapper.java:324)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile
(JspServlet.java:292)
	at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter
(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke
(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext
(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal
(StandardContextValve.java:198)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke
(StandardContextValve.java:152)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext
(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke
(StandardHostValve.java:137)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext
(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke
(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext
(StandardValveContext.java:102)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke
(StandardEngineValve.java:109)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext
(StandardValveContext.java:104)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke
(StandardPipeline.java:520)
	at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:
929)
	at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service
(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process
(Http11Processor.java:799)
	at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol
$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt
(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
	at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run
(ThreadPool.java:683)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:552)

Re: MapBuilder failed trying to instantiate

Posted by Jon August <jo...@internection.com>.
It looks like I was just missing some libraries:

commons-beanutils
commons-pool

I found this out by using a java application instead of a jsp.  The
application was much clearer on what was going on.

Thanks for the help.

-Jon

Posted by Greg Monroe <Gr...@DukeCE.com>.
First the obvious... make sure your build/jar process
includes ALL the Torque generated files and packages.
The class mentioned in the error is a generated one.

Depending on your build settings, there will be two or more
subpackages created by default below the torque
targetPackage you specified.  There is also a MapBuilder
related org.apache.torque.linkage package generated that
is used if you need to manually initialize all your
schema's map info.

Some other posiblities:

Did you manually defined any of the subpackages in your
build properties?  Depending on the Torque version, there
are some known issues with trying to set a lot of these.

Also, Tomcat impliments strict class loader security. I.e.,
if a class is loaded at the lib/shared level, it may not
"see" classes in the WEB-INF/lib directory.  This is to
keep webapps from getting unauthorized access to system
level functions.  This is especially tight for the
Class.forName type of calls that the MapBuilder code uses.

Anyway, the way to solve this is to make sure your OM
classes are at the same "level" (e.g. lib/shared or
WEB-INF/lib) as the Torque runtime jars.

One minor design consideration here is that if you put
all your OM files at the webapp level, you will have a
connection pool for each webapp vs a single connection
pool if you keep you OM level stuff at the commons/shared
level.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both ways.

Duke CE Privacy Statement
Please be advised that this e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential communication or may otherwise be privileged or confidential and are intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient you may not rely on the contents of this email or any attachments, and we ask that you  please not read, copy or retransmit this communication, but reply to the sender and destroy the email, its contents, and all copies thereof immediately.  Any unauthorized dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Re: MapBuilder failed trying to instantiate

Posted by Jon August <jo...@internection.com>.
Hey,

Thanks for the tip.  I started with fresh downloads via maven and I
think it neglected to grab everything needed for the runtime
environment.  I'm up and running now.

-Jon