Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Liang Xiao Zhu <ub...@goldigolino.com.es> on 2008/06/11 13:21:17 UTC

Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system

Hi,

I would like to know if there is some way which I can monitoring of the
memory usage through of Tomcat. I mean, I have currently running a
Tomcat 6 server, and through that I want to know not only the memory
usage of JVM also the memory usage of the system.

Thanks in advance

Re: Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system

Posted by Liang Xiao Zhu <ub...@goldigolino.com.es>.
Can anyone help me?

Posted by Liang Xiao Zhu <ub...@goldigolino.com.es>.
Thanks for your answer!!!

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Liang,
>
> Liang Xiao Zhu wrote:
> | I would like to know if there is some way which I can monitoring of the
> | memory usage through of Tomcat. I mean, I have currently running a
> | Tomcat 6 server, and through that I want to know not only the memory
> | usage of JVM also the memory usage of the system.
>
> I don't believe the JVM has access to this information directly. You'd
> have to write your own native code to interrogate the operating system
> for this information. I wouldn't be surprised if something like this
> already exists somewhere.
>
> Note that this would not be a Tomcat-specific library -- it would be
> applicable in any Java program, not just a web application.

To offer a solution idea that would on the other hand be very specific
and non-portable, but maybe usable if this is for one server and you do
not find anything more elegant :
It must be possible in a servlet to execute a system-level command, grab
its output and filter it to get what you want to know.
I could tell you how to do this under Apache and perl, but unfortunately
I don't know under Tomcat and Java.  But I am sure that someone on this
list can give us a tip.

Re: Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Jconsole or JMXPROXY monitoring memory usage of the system

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

May I take the opportunity and ride on the question below, to ask :
Is there some kind of general source of information, or registry or
repository, where one could find the answer to the question below, but
also get a list of already-developed add-on modules for Tomcat ?
I mean, when I need to find out if there already exists an add-on to
Apache for authentication via a post-gothic chocolate cookie server, I
can consult the list of add-ons at httpd.apache.org; and when I want to
know the same for perl modules, I go to www.cpan.org.
What about Tomcat ?

Thanks in advance,