Posted to dev@openwhisk.apache.org by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org> on 2018/04/12 09:44:33 UTC

Listing all OpenWhisk Git repositories

Hi,

About this question from the tech interchange notes:

> Michele: is there poss. to create a separate a project that describes all repos/projects (help manage)?

FWIW in Sling we have https://sling.apache.org/repolist.html which is
built from an XML file generated at
https://github.com/apache/sling-aggregator/ . No automatic
regeneration of that XML file so far, but updates to it are picked up
whenever the Sling website is built.

The relevant code is here - using Maven + JBake and not Jekyll, so FWIW:

https://github.com/apache/sling-site/blob/master/pom.xml downloads the XML file
https://github.com/apache/sling-site/blob/master/src/main/jbake/templates/repolist.tpl
builds the web page

I suppose this could be adapted for OpenWhisk.

-Bertrand

Re: Listing all OpenWhisk Git repositories

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com>.
Thanks for clarifying Michael,

Perhaps we need to get this under a properly titled topic/subject...  as I
was confused as to why our existing listings were not sufficient.

FWIW, I had hoped that each of the "deploy repos. would have their own
installers that could be leveraged by a master installer at some point.
That hoped hinged upon working to eliminate Ansible as a config. source
and moving to a neutral way to load configs as we seem to be doing with
pureconfig.

Kind regards,
Matt

From:   Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   04/16/2018 12:12 PM
Subject:        Re: Listing all OpenWhisk Git repositories

No, actually I was asking: is it possible to create a separate repository
for an INSTALLER? Something like "incubator-openwhisk-install"

There is a lot of confusion how to install OpenWhisk and multiple separate
repositories. I think the docker-compose, the kubernetes installer, the
dcos and the vagrant file should be collected in a single place. Then work
from there to create an installer. I really believe you should be able to
install openwhisk without having to install ansible or vagrant for
example. I have as a model tools like kops, docker-machine or minikube.

I discussed with Rodric about this problem and he basically agree.
So, once done with the Go actions (I am 99%) I will try to work on this
problem.

--
  Michele Sciabarra
  michele@sciabarra.com

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sling.apache.org_repolist.html&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=tyOX-O8vrG6V8efXSzhJUC8kf5Obqh9Qmce81QJsra8&s=Wcotf57beuWh3xByAJJLEFNumu8hVyZAcBDcqM9TeTs&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_sling-2Daggregator_&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=tyOX-O8vrG6V8efXSzhJUC8kf5Obqh9Qmce81QJsra8&s=jPF3MZTKDA3YAQI1TMFH6QvHAf0soVdSKN63Z64M6V4&e=
. No automatic
> regeneration of that XML file so far, but updates to it are picked up
> whenever the Sling website is built.
>
> The relevant code is here - using Maven + JBake and not Jekyll, so FWIW:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_sling-2Dsite_blob_master_pom.xml&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=tyOX-O8vrG6V8efXSzhJUC8kf5Obqh9Qmce81QJsra8&s=WgcU-ipYZk6Jit06nwOEIkyLW-xcpziDF4HifSqb2rs&e=
downloads the

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_apache_sling-2Dsite_blob_master_src_main_jbake_templates_repolist.tpl&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=6zQLM7Gc0Sv1iwayKOKa4_SFxRIxS478q2gZlAJj4Zw&m=tyOX-O8vrG6V8efXSzhJUC8kf5Obqh9Qmce81QJsra8&s=6Jz3PU4jkiXfZB2Mx-6Va5RQye5iJJyK2-226Bh76fw&e=

Posted by Michele Sciabarra <mi...@sciabarra.com>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matt
+1

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
Whiskers,

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 8:50 PM, Matt Rutkowski <mr...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> ...AFAIK, there are no Committers for OW repos. with the "maintainer" (Admin)
> role.  If someone was granted either by Infra. I would love to know
> that...  they would see "Settings" link/button at the top and see an
> "Edit" button next to the description....

I got an answer at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-16343
now (which is for Sling but with similar requirements).

ASF infra cannot give us the "maintainer" role, so if people want to
do changes to the OpenWhisk repositories that require that role, they
can either

-Create INFRA tickets for a small number of changes
-Write a script (ideally Python) to contribute to [1] and ask infra to run it.

-Bertrand

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/infra/infrastructure/trunk/projects/github/

Re: Listing all OpenWhisk Git repositories

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Bertrand for asking, lets see what's the their comeback on the ticket

It would be good if they made all the PPMC members Admin role, or at least
2 designated individuals as Admins might even be OK also.

--Carlos

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

From:   Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
To:     dev@openwhisk.apache.org
Date:   04/16/2018 12:08 PM

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
The very first thing we should do IMO is properly leverage GitHub to uniformly acknowledge it is part of "apache" and the ""openwhisk" project. That is, please see my "notes" in the last column where we do not have proper GitHub repo. descriptions or tagging.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OPENWHISK/GitHub+Repository+Status

It would be great if someone would verify the list against the current set of repos. (as it has grown since my pass at this) and open a single JIRA issue for INFRA to fix all-at-once.

Please know that whoever does this must verify that INFRA indeed fixes all requested updates as my experience has been that they often try to be quick and fix only a percentage of what is asked for depending on the diligence of the person on that given day.

Re: Listing all OpenWhisk Git repositories

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Apr 16, 2018 at 4:31 PM, Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org> wrote:

> ...on all presentations and website (and my own use) we simply supply:
> https://github.com/apache?q=openwhisk

Right, and that's also what
http://openwhisk.incubator.apache.org/developers.html links to - I
guess that's good enough.

Posted by Matt Rutkowski <mr...@apache.org>.
FWIW on all presentations and website (and my own use) we simply supply:

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
You could also just query the Github API to get all repo metadata:
https://api.github.com/search/repositories?q=openwhisk+user:apache

On Thu, Apr 12, 2018 at 5:44 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@apache.org