Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Christopher Bottaro <cj...@onespot.com> on 2011/09/01 23:27:31 UTC

Bulk loader: Got an unknow host from describe_ring

Hello,

I'm trying to import data from one Cassandra cluster to another.  The old
cluster is using ports 7000 and 9160 and the new cluster is using 7001 and
9161.  I ran "nodetool -h localhost snapshot" on a node on the old cluster.
 I then downloaded apache-cassandra-0.8.4-bin.tar.gz, edited
conf/cassandra.yaml appropriately for the new cluster, exported
CASSANDRA_INCLUDE=bin/cassandra.sh.in (so it doesn't try to use the
installed, running Cassandra).

When I run sstableloader, I can see that it's connecting to the new cluster
(by tailing the logs), but after a few seconds, it gives the error: "Got an
unknow host from describe_ring"

After banging my head for a while, I scp'ed the snapshotted data to a node
on the *new* cluster.  I again downloaded apache-cassandra-0.8.4-bin.tar.gz
and configured cassandra.yaml there appropriately (with listen_address:
127.0.0.1 so as to not conflict with the Cassandra already running on the
node).

Running sstableloader resulted in the same error.

"nodetool -h localhost ring" shows a healthy cluster.  Running that command
works both locally and remotely.  I can connect to the cluster using
cassandra-cli both locally and remotely as well.

Any ideas?  Thanks for the help.

Re: Bulk loader: Got an unknow host from describe_ring

Posted by Christopher Bottaro <cj...@onespot.com>.
That issue says you can workaround the problem by turning off auto node
discovery... any instructions on how to do that?  Is it done on the cluster
or just the sstableloader?

Thanks.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.